We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Richmond for a day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
London to Richmond for a day

Hello Everyone

We will be in London for a few days in July for my partners birthday and we thought that we might take a day trip to Richmond on one of the days we are there.

So advice time. We will be staying in Bloomsbury so which is the best way of getting to Richmond and how long will it take? Also what should be on our itinerary including where to eat? With the latter nothing oriental but not boring either. Anywhere European would be good. Haven't got a price restriction but nowhere too formal.

All help would be much appreciated.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Richmond for a day

Richmond is circa 30 minutes from central London - you can train it or tube it.

Not familiar enough with restaurants there these days.

On a sunny day it's a lovely place to go.

london
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Richmond for a day

I like the Glasshouse, which is by Kew Gardens station (close to Richmond).

http://www.glasshouserestaurant.co.uk/

I like Kew Gardens too, if it comes to that :)

To reach Richmond (or Kew Gardens) from Bloomsbury, take the Piccadilly line from Russell Square or other Piccadilly line station, and alight at Hammersmith, then take the District Line towards Richmond from the adjacent platform. Travel time is 40 minutes.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Richmond for a day

Re eating, there are 2 pubs on the riverside. The White Cross is worth going to. The Slug & Lettuce, I think not.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Richmond for a day

If the weather behaves then a walk along the river to Ham House is a must and this National Trust property is well worth a couple of hours. A combination of bus and stiff walk will take you up to Richmond Park from where the views are as good as anywhere in the capital. You could have lunch at Pembroke Lodge.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hamhouse/

www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/richmond-park/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Richmond for a day

All of the above assumes you mean Richmond on Thames rather than Richmond in North Yorkshire

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Richmond for a day

There is quite a good fish and chip restaurant in King Street.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,087 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Richmond for a day

There are lots of chain places for lunch. Cote is one of the best. Slightly more unusual is the Persian resto downstairs just to the left of the Waitrose main entrance.

I haven't been here but it does have the classic view:

www.petershamhotel.co.uk/restaurant.aspx

Agree Ham House is well worth a visit. It is one of the most haunted houses in England. When I lived nearby my neighbours were often reporting sightings of ghosts.

On Sundays you can watch polo practice at the polo ground in Ham; take a picnic. Or you can take a boat to Hampton Court. The ferry from the towpath in Ham over to old Twickenham is also quite fun and costs about 50p.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,087 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Richmond for a day

Just thought - European, informal and quite good is Chez Lindsay, just above the bridge, which is French and does crepes, among other things.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Richmond for a day

Glad to hear that Ham House is worth a visit, I was just mulling that over. I noticed on the map of Richmond that there was a York House, is that the same York House that was affiliated with cardinal Wolsey?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Richmond for a day

Cardinal Wolsey built Hampton Court Palace, down the road.

I'm not sure about York House. I think it is now a council HQ building. There's also Marble Hill House and Orleans House, where the heir to the French throne lived for some time.

Ham House is well worth a visit. Along the river from it are Petersham Nurseries, which have recently been awarded a MIchelin star for their food.