We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country Hopping

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Country Hopping

My daughter and I are planning a trip to Dublin, London, and Paris next summer. Because this applies to travelling from one country to the next, I am posting it in all three forums.

I am going to purchase a roundtrip ticket to London. I will then purchase separately a ticket from London to Dublin, then a ticket from Dublin to Paris. We will then take the train from Paris back to London. I have been told that when I enter Dublin and Paris, they will want proof that I intend to leave. Will a copy of my itinerary be sufficient? Do you see any other potential issues with my travel plans?

Thank you!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Country Hopping

I would purchase home to London and Paris to home as part of a multi city ticket then London to Dublin and Dublin to Paris as separate tickets

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country Hopping

That was my original plan. However the difference in price is making me reconsider. I have checked with three different airlines, and it would cost 300.00 to 500.00 dollars more to do a multi city ticket that is home to one country then another country to home. BA will let me travel from the US to London, then to Dublin, then to France, then home for 1700.00, but my other way still saves me about 200.00.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,644 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country Hopping

but my other way still saves me about 200.00.

minus the extra transfer costs and time wasted with redundant legs. Your call but I would do home -Dublin- London - Paris (via Eurostar) - home (or vice versa)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Country Hopping

You have a ticket home, so that should indicate that you intend to go home, hence leaving France, even though you won't yet have your ticket to leave France.

If you are concerned or if you think you or your daughter don't present as "safe" average people you can try to have back up documents indicating your life is planned to continue back home - your lease or mortgage statement, school registration, work calendar, invitation to your friend's baby shower next month etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Country Hopping

Don't worry about border formalities, if you are a U.S. citizen.

There's general agreement that a roundtrip in and out of London, with two long sidetrips, is not a good idea. For example, we're flying into London and home from Paris on Delta (JFK -LHR- CDG-JFK) with a Eurostar trip from London to Paris, at almost the same cost as a simple roundtrip to either place.

The Dublin part complicates things a bit. Which airport in the U.S. is your home airport, and which airlines are you considering?

By the way, justteach, the photo you use as your icon is lovely.

-- Steve

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Country Hopping

Thank you, Steve. That is my maternal grandmother. She taught me how to cook.

We have decided to fly open jaw, making Paris our first stop and Dublin our last. I am bringing back a couple bottles of Writer's Tears with me, and don't want to drag them all over London and Paris before our return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country Hopping

if in any doubt just make sure you have your actual onward tickets (not itinerary) with you e-tickets are fine and if they do start asking questions, like Mcvisor tell them you have to go back home to work or school or whatever.

Enjoy youor trip

8. Re: Country Hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:47