We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCP travel Question

New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
HCP travel Question

I thought I'd already posted this question but it seems to have disappeared so sorry if it turns up twice.

My husband and I are making our third trip to London in late August.

Last time we had the children with us and made great use of the 2 for 1 offers using travel cards. This time I had thought we'd get Oyster cards loaded with 7 day pass (as we'd done all of the 2 for 1 sights we wanted to see). Then I saw that HCP is a 2 for 1 and wondered about paper cards. I decided that as it was August and quite a busy time (we are there over the last bank holiday weekend) I should probably prebook tickets to HCP. In this case we were back to the Oyster as you can't use 2 for 1 and prebook.

NOW we are thinking of doing the Churchill War Rooms so maybe back to paper tickets. We could however do this on the day we arrive from the Cotswalds by train.

My convoluted questions are these;

If we go for the paper tickets (seven day) how do we pay for our tickets to HCP? I see on the great western that we can get from London Victoria (close to our hotel) to HCP return for about GBP25 for both of us. (that's going peak time as I think I'd like to be there when it opens) Would I be better pre buying these tickets or just pay the difference from end of zone 2 on the day? If I would be better buying the tickets would they be eligible for the 2 for 1? At HCP I mean.

Now, my husband is not a big public transport fan, probably due to the fact that our public transport is so bad, so will probably use taxis a bit. Maybe I would be better getting Oyster PAYG money which will cap at the daily travel rate. I know no one can answer that for me but what are your opinions? We are staying fairly centrally and don't mind a bit of a walk.

Thanks very much for your opinions in advance.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HCP travel Question

You buy an extension ticket BEFORE you travel from the ticket office if you have a Travelcard of any type. If you only have PAYG then buy train tickets instead as they give you the eligibility for the offer which is after all run by the train companies.

However you'd do better to start from Waterloo rather than Victoria as the train is direct and is more frequent

If you are thinking of using taxis on a regular basis I would have thought the costs of Travelcard / Oystercard PAYG would be not worth worrying about but you can get 1 day Travelcards from train stations which are also eligible

Edited: 01 July 2012, 21:28
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HCP travel Question

>>>However you'd do better to start from Waterloo rather than Victoria as the train is direct and is more frequent<<<

But that would mean a hike over to Waterloo. The trains to Clapham Junction (for a change to the HC train) are about every ten minutes (at a guess).

Edited: 01 July 2012, 21:31
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HCP travel Question

You are right - probably better to change at CJ especially as OP wants to travel in peak time

BTW when did the direct trains from Waterloo stop. Most of the NR options say change at Surbition

Edit - even more weird, looking at the details it says change at Surbition for a train coming from - em - Waterloo

Edited: 01 July 2012, 21:38
New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HCP travel Question

So tickets to HCP are eligible? That means I could use them for both the papace and the war rooms.

Should I pre book the train tickets for the best rate? We got an amazing price from the Cotswalds into London. Should I fiddle around with the days etc?

Will HCP be busier during the bank holiday weekend? Should I go the Friday prior rather than during the weekend?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCP travel Question

>>>BTW when did the direct trains from Waterloo stop. Most of the NR options say change at Surbition <<

They didn't stop. The planner tells you to change because the first train overtakes the HC train, so you leave Waterloo slightly later, which makes for a slighter shorter journey. It's a but pointless really, you might as well join the HC train at Waterloo.

>>So tickets to HCP are eligible? That means I could use them for both the papace and the war rooms.<<

Valid the HCP, yes. I don't think you can use them for anywhere else though.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 21:46
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HCP travel Question

You won't get a discount by booking in advance on that route.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HCP travel Question

What is the cost of boundary zone 2 to HCP add ons for cash? (both peak and off peak?)

Will HCP be appreciably busier on the Bank holiday Monday?

I am assuming that public holidays have off peak all day? Are the schedules curtailed?

Thanks again for all of your input!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HCP travel Question

I don't know the cost, you can't buy them online, only at ticket office so I can't look it up. Probably a pound or two cheaper than the full ticket.

I've only visited HCP on a weekday, but I'd expect it to be busier on a Bank Holiday. Maybe someone else can say how much?

Yes off-peak is all day on public holidays. There will probably be either a Saturday or Sunday service running. Look out for engineering works too, which could result in bus substitutions.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HCP travel Question

I thought the War Rooms was free entry? The only cost was for the headphones? Sorry I might be thinking of somewhere else.

10. Re: HCP travel Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:47