We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Hi,

I thought i had read somewhere that buses and/or something does not run on Thanksgiving in London. Is this true? Am thinking of flying from Edinburgh to London on the 22nd and want to be sure i can get a taxi and/or some mode of transport to the hotel.

Any information would be most appreciated!

thanks,

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Adamhornets, I don't remember which part of that vacation we spent in Edinburgh, and which we spent in London. I do remember that the tubes were often so crowded that we had trouble keeping our family of 4 together in the evenings. My younger son almost got separated from us at one point, when people pushed into a crowded tube behind him and ahead of the rest of us.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

"I am not invited"

Oh dear I am so disappointed. Get real!

As for 4th July then maybe the Brits should celebrate it too but we don't.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

>>>As for 4th July then maybe the Brits should celebrate it too but we don't.<<<

Why should we celebrate something that's got nothing to do with us....apart from losing one of our colonies?

Edited: 03 July 2012, 15:38
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

I rather like the concept of Thanksgiving, as an inclusive celebration.but of course it doesn't affect anything in the UK. I am not sure I understand the point of insulting other people's traditional foods though. I am sure that as with our Christmas celebrations each family has its own traditions.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Enough of this BS. You have had one Thanksgiving dinner in your entire life. You don't know a damn thing about Thanksgiving. The tone of this Forum is getting to be crap. There are six pages of mostly snarky comments from an honest question about finding American food. Honestly folks, contribute something positive or STFU!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Surely "There are six pages of mostly snarky comments from a <<very strange>> question about <<whether London buses or "something" don't run on thanksgiving>> "

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,782 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

I've enjoyed the humour in some posts, been disappointed at the needle in others, but we never know when someone's temperament might have been coloured that day by a nasty recurrence of haemorhoids or somesuch. I'd like to think I'll be treated gently on that day I ask a stupid question. It could be any day now;)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Bungle to save further aggro on this thread I will just say that you have answered your own question.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

TexScott don't preach to me about Thanksgiving because I do know the significance of it. Yes I agree that I have only been to one Thanksgiving meal but once was enough. Now just leave it at that please.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: thanksgiving in London -anything closed? transportation?

Purple C I do agree that anyone can have a bad day but with stupid questions there is stupid and stupid! This post which has caused such aggro might be genuine but some of us doubt its authenticity. I don't know. It would have helped if early on the OP had responded to earlier comments. That just might have saved all of these angry comments which veered away from the original question.