We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

We are scheduled to land at LHR on Saturday evening at 9pm, and are hoping to get to a Jamies Italian restaurant for dinner.

on our last trip to London, we enjoyed the food here, and want another visit on our very short stay in London (we depart from LHR to Geneva the next morning at 8:20am)

Ive done a google map search, and they list the Westfield shopping centre location closest at a 20 minute drive away.

this location states they are open until 11pm, and the Covent Garden location is another 10 minutes further along, but they are open until 11:30pm.

the westfield location accepts reservations, while the Covent Garden location does not.

Do you think that its worth trying to get here on a Saturday evening for dinner, or will traffic slow us down?

any help you could lend would be appreciated.

Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets,
Covent Garden
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks,
Maltby Street Market
Flea & Street Markets
London
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

I think you would struggle to make reservations for either restaurant.

Do not even consider hiring a car for just one evening.

Also, Jamie's Italian is pretty average. Is it really worth the hassle?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Jamie's Italian is decent, but not so good it's worth trekking from Heathrow and back again. Plus, if you're LANDING at Heathrow at 9pm, you need to allow time to get through immigration before you can get out of the airport and onto any kind of transport. Not worth the bother, IMO.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Last time I went to Jamie's (in Kingston) they wouldn't take any bookings for a table less than 8. Maybe it was the day we went, but sadly our meal was very average.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Jamie is not really a stand out chef. If he were, the Michelin man would have come calling many moons ago.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

It wouldn't matter if he was a stand out chef or not - it's a chain restaurant. A bit like going to McDonald's and expecting Ronald to be on duty ;-) I'm sure there must be numerous Italian restaurants the forum members can recommend.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

On my last trip to London (in May), my flight touched down at 9:25pm. I zipped through immigration (under 20 minutes) and took the tube to Gloucester Road and was at my hotel at 11pm. Covent Garden is about 20 minutes further along.

My point is, it is likely to take 2 hours or more from the time your plane touches down to the time you arrive in Covent Garden. If there is a long queue at immigration, then expect more time. So you could possibly get to Covent Garden by 11pm, but all the stars would need to be aligned.

You didn't mention where you are staying the night or if you have luggage you have to deal with. If you are staying at Heathrow, keep in mind that by the time you do finish dinner you may be too late to catch the last tube back to LHR which could add to your expense.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 00:48
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Can I just add, that if you are talking about coming into Covent Garden (more specifically St Martin's Lane) on a Saturday night you are going to be competing for a table with the huge post-theatre crowds. Last time we thought about going to Jamie's Italian on a Saturday, they told us it would be an hour's wait...when we went back dutifully after an hour, told us it would be another half-hour (so we went to restaurant nearby). Admittedly this was pre-theatre, but the same is likely to apply post.

In other words...don't bother. Look for some place closer to your hotel. I am sure forum members could help make some recommendations, if you could advise where you are staying.

London
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Shame you aren't flying in and out of Gatwick as a jamie's italian has just opened in the airport!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

You dont have anywhere near enough time, plus you are doing a lot of travelling for what is an average restaurant.

It would also seem you haven't taken account of your hotel/luggage arrangements. Either you all turn up with suitcases (even of only cabin sized baggage) or you drop it off at your hotel, a side trip you certainly don't have time for

Stay at an LHR hotel, which you are unlikely to be in before 10 at the very earliest, and more likely 1030. Even many hotels restaurants will be closed by then.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 10:18
Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR to Jamies Italian - which location would be nearest

Helshaw, my comments about Jamie not being "a stand out chef" were directed at him personally (on the basis of watching the moderately good food he produces in different television series). They did no relate, in any form, to his Italian restaurants. However, I have no experience of his Italian restaurants; so perhaps I should not have commented in the first place.