We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic stadium

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic stadium

Spending 2 nights in London from 21st July for our anniversary, my DH has suggested a visit to the Olympic stadium (NOT exactly one of the places I was thinking about, don't imagine any cocktail bars or nice shops there!)

Bearing in mind the date being so close to the opening how close would we be able to get to it? Imagine they have been doing tours but assuming not that close to date.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic stadium

Bearing in mind the date being so close to the opening how close would we be able to get to it?

=====

Not very. Dont bother. Tours stopped last month or even the month before.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,390 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic stadium

I think tours have stopped, but you could go to Westfield (for shops) from where you can view at a distance some of the Olympic site.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic stadium

If you are interested in shopping then encourage him to see the Olympic site as they have just built a new huge shopping centre right next to the Olympic site.

More here

http://uk.westfield.com/stratfordcity/

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic stadium

Thank you, a distant view sounds good to me!

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic stadium

We visited the mall for a glimpse of the Olympics area back in April and found Westfield quite impressive. I can imagine it's not up high on your priority list, considering you only have 2 days in London... But you may end up enjoying some shopping time while hubby looks at the Olympic park from the viewing platform (3rd floor of John Lewis). The mall has a very wide variety of stores (ranging from H&M to Armani), and lots of different restaurants and bars too.

Have fun!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic stadium

The view from John Lewis isn't hugely different from the view at the end of the mall's internal Food Court on the second floor.

The range of eating places there is considerable, and a number of retailers (from Forever 21 to All Saints) have new generation flagship stores in the mall.

Though a shopophobic, I found the mall hugely interesting, but the views of the Olympic Park frankly dispiriting . Sadly it's not possible to see the velodrome from the mall, the angles you see the aquatics centre at make it look just ugly and the main stadium looks like a poor man's version of any modern football stadium. I'm sure it'll look a lot better on TV and from inside the park, the sight of people coming just to look at the work is fascinating, and the ethnic mix (and clothes sense) of Stratford shoppers gobsmacking.

But right now, what you see of the Olympics from the mall doesn't make you think they represent the best possible use of £10 billion of our money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic stadium

To be honest if you have only two day in town and it’s your first time here, I would be inclined to avoid the Olympic park there are many other things to see and do in London.

I recall doing one of the final tours of the park (my third) last year, but I keep reading of people who say they are planning tours of the park, but I am not sure who is organising these.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 08:25
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic stadium

I would agree. I took a London Walks "Olympics" walk in May and while it was interesting, the closest view was from the John Lewis in Westfield and a better but fleeting glimpse on the DLR ride to Stratford International.

Frankly, if DH wants to see an Olympic venue in preparation, walk by Horse Guards, slap bang in the center of Westminster. The venue for Trooping the Colour, facing the back garden of 10 Downing Street, is hosting the beach volleyball!!!

9. Re: Olympic stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2013, 10:16