We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing pets to the UK?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Topic
Bringing pets to the UK?

When I lived in England there was a six month quarantine if you brought a dog (and I think cats) to the UK. I now the regulations have changed to allow you to bring pets into the UK without quarantine, but what are the requirements of the new law.

My wife and I have become "them", the people who consider their dogs as children. In the past few years, when on vacation we would put our dogs in a kennel and they were so pathetically happy to see us when we got back, we would feel guilty. If we do take an extended vacation to England and the continent next year, we would like to bring them with us. What about hotels/B&Bs that will allow animals? They are both small dogs, so the complications of travel with them will be at a minimum.

Also, this morning we found out that our Madoodle, Daisy, is diabetic, and we will have to start giving her insulin shots daily, so if we were to be away from home for an extended time, say a month or more, we'd want to make sure she was being taken care of. I assume we will be able to get insulin from vets in England. The one problem with insulin is that it has to be refrigerated, so we wouldn't be able to take a large supply with us.

Anybody out there with a dog who is diabetic? What is their quality of life like?

It's not fair, she's just 4 years old and sweet as the day is long. She's a daddy's girl.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

Hi Nuke,

I don't really know uch on this subject apart from they introduced something called pet passports. anyway the webiste below should be able to answer most of your questions.

www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

I do like the first line "This site explains what you have to do to bring your pet dog, cat or ferret into or back into) the UK". So, do you have any ferrets as well?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

Oh Nuke, I'm sorry about your little Daisy. Did the insulin shot thing for a year with our cat. His quality of life was great for that year (he was quite old & only lived for a year after his diagnosis), but you really need to watch the dog and learn the signs of diabetic distress. Sometimes, you have to give them a quick sugar fix when the blood sugar drops and/or a quick insulin shot when it spikes. But you'll be able to do it. You learn pretty fast how to keep them regulated. I'm sure the vet advised that you should feed her at regular intervals, etc.

I would assume that you could find B&B's that would take dogs. The Lavenham Priory owners had two adorable cocker spaniels and I think they allowed pets.

You should also check on regulations for bringing in the syringe equipment. And since I'm assuming you use disposable syringes, you may want to get a sharps container to put the used ones in.

Good luck with your dear little Daisy.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

Thanks mick and FSM. And no, no ferrets at the moment. I do like them though. Once, shortly before divorcing wife #2, we were visiting some German friends who had ferrets. One was under the sofa where we were sitting and he stuck his head out. My wife reached down to pet him and he bit her finger to the bone. I've like ferrets ever since.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

My cousin's dog is diabetic she is also rather old ( dog not cousin),cousin is also diabetic.

The dog didn't like the shots to begin with but since cousin was used to shooting herelf up she knew how.

Dog got used to it and is doing fine though going blind as she now has cataracts-- some dogs get them many diabetics do too-- the dog is also 12-13 heman years old.

For EU dogizens you can get a 'passort' that has all their shots in and confirms that they have anti rabies shots and have been healthy for a certain period of time, I am not sure about American dogs but you should be able to find out from the DEFRA website.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

Ha! Precisely the reason I DISLIKE ferrets! but I can well understand your reasoning, Nuke!

If you grow up around farms, you know the smell of mice & rats pretty well and I'm sorry, but ferrets stink like rats! And whenever I'm in a house that has a ferret, I just want to puke.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

A madoodle is poodle and what?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

FSM you are right about ferrets smelling. My father-in-law used to keep them for rabbiting. Put the ferret down the whole to flush out the rabbits and then his Jack Russell to flush out the ferret.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

I almost wrote that flushing is the perfect thing for ferrets...but I won't, no I won't, but Mr. C, I feel sorry for that Jack Russell Terrier.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

In order to bring your pets into the UK you have to get all the paper work filled out by a vet, and then have the carrier closed w/a seal. The animal has to be transported w/baggage, and heaven forbid that seal is broken when the carrier arrives.

France has similar requirements, except that the animal is allowed to travel w/passengers so long as the approved carrier fits under the seat. I'm not sure what the requirements getting an animal from France to the UK would be. This was how it was done in 2004 -- a friend wanted me to bring her cat to London. I was unwilling to make the poor thing travel in baggage (there are always such horror stories) and she didn't want to travel to Paris, so I never heard any more about it. Except, that is, how selfish I was to refuse such a simple favour! I found that quite telling, and feel the cat is urely better off w/her brother where she's since lived.

Lake Jackson, Texas
Level Contributor
234 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing pets to the UK?

FSM and Mr. C:

One thing I liked about living in California... ferrets are illegal!