We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Shard

London/ Torremolinos
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Shard

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be a bar and restaurant at the top or near the top of the Shard?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Shard

Joe - you're wasting your time, The cost of everything/value of nothing brigade will never agree with you. The great thing is they don't have to go. They can spend nearly £30 on Ripley's or Madame Tussaud's instead!:)

(and fwiw, the Burj Khalifa costs c.£20; £40 if you buy on the day and the Empire State Building is between $25 and $65).

Edited: 11 September 2012, 10:55
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Shard

Just adding my 2 cents worth here, just reading all of the comments here on the pricing to visit the top of the Shard. What many people are forgetting is that this building was opened primarily as office/ hotel/ residential establishment and not a tourist attraction.

The cost they are charging to access the tower covers the inconvenience to the officer workers / hotel guests / residence of having all these general members of the public traipsing up and down the building all day. Imagine what it will be like for the smokers having to first wait for a lift to get down to the ground floor for a quick puff only to find 100 people queuing up, standing in the smokers sector.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Shard

I would hazard a guess that they will have a dedicated lift to get up there though, like they do in the Empire State Building.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Shard

Part of the reason people complain about entry prices of buildings such as this is because they are soon perceived as 'must sees', so people see the money as something they have virtually no choice over. If we could get away from the idea of 'must sees' I'm sure people could live according to their budgets far easier, in fact in London you could do dozens of museums and art galleries without having to spend anything. Unfortunately many visitors simply don't consider all the options they could do and see (some don't even buy a guidebook) and rely on received opinion and concentrate on the more well-known places. That's how places like the Shard make a killing, as indeed they are entitled to do. Nobody is forced at gunpoint to spend a morning there rather than in the British Museum or the Tate Modern.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: The Shard

Joe

I'd rather not go to either and enjoy a sun downer and sights of Hong Kong harbor from the Ritz Carlton and have drinks in with the price...!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The Shard

Sounds nice, if I ever get to HK I'll definitely check it out :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The Shard

no need just go to the hotel at the side of the shard fro a drink. you can go half way up and can still have a great view for the price of a drink

18. Re: The Shard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 14:30
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The Shard

We went to the Oblix Bar and brought a bottle of wine for 25 pound, sat by the window and enjoyed the views. Was totally worth it.

20. Re: The Shard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:19