We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish someone had told you?

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish someone had told you?

Hi. Planning a trip to London for next Spring. I noticed an informative thread in the Paris forum, entitled "What do you wish someone had told you?" (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k47347…). I thought I'd post the same question about London: What did you discover you wished someone had told you before your first trip? Did someone give you advice that you found particularly helpful or useful that you'd be willing to pass on? Thanks in advance!

1. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2012, 07:05
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

This thread may or may not be still here in the morning.

Irrespective, come and enjoy.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Okay, here we go. Some frequent issues/advice that come up on this forum .....

1) Don't pre order Oyster cards or travel cards. They're very easy to get in London, and pre ordering may mean you get a card you don't actually want (visitor Oystet without travelcard, travelcard useless for 2 for 1).

2) Don't get the London Pass without serious research, and looking at Hoogo's spreadsheet, and never get "LP with Travel" - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k44961…

3) Don't buy a Rick Steeves guide book. Taking taxis everywhere is not as cheap as public transport, even with 4 or more people.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 04:27
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Don't get in a taxi and ask to go to "Oxford" if you want to go to Oxford Street.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Experience a few things, don't try and see everything.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Think very carefully before planning to visit places like Madame Tussauds, M&Ms World, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, the London Dungeon and similar IQ-destroying black holes.

Stand right walk left isn't a suggestion.

It doesn't rain every day.

The Tower is a castle.

Public transport is much easier to use than to describe how to use it. An Oyster card is a payment method, not a ticket type.

Pubs are places to go for a drink and a chat, not usually places to seek out good quality food.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,880 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

At a pub, you need to go up and place your order. If you sit down at a table and wait for service, you will likely wait a long time.

Carry a map. To this day I get turned around in London, although I can visit a new city and have it down cold before it is time to pack my suitcase. There's a good reason it takes cabbies here five years to obtain "the knowledge."

At the end of a tube journey, after you put your ticket through, don't stop and get out said map. You are blocking people behind you.

Don't stand in the doorway while riding the tube. If you take a seat near the door, offer it up to a pregnant or elderly person.

Do make your way towards the door before the tube stops at the stop you want to get out on.

Don't stop on the middle of the sidewalk to consult your map. Move to the side.

Carry loose change...some stations require money to use the loo. (toilet)

Don't give anyone the peace sign with your hand....well, just don't. It is very rude.

When there is a wait, people take queuing (standing in line) very seriously. There may be a single queue well back from the ticket windows, say. Don't jump the line. Don't save places in the line. Don't ask to cut in line. Wait in line like everyone else.

While riding a train, it is not polite to pile your belongings on the seat next to you if the train is full, or nearly so. There is no law against yammering loudly on a cell/mobile phone while on a train....yet. Expect stern looks.

Use good manners. Everywhere in the world, wouldn't you say?

Be patient.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

I don't understand why some of the regular London posters have to be so rude to some of the questions here. If you don't wan't to answer why not just ignore it?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

I wish that I knew that pub food tended to be really good. The tube is much more efficient than any I have used in the U.S. Look at maps NOW and familarize yourself with the city and esp the area around your hotel. Look at the area you will be staying in and see where the closest grocery or drug store is. Also check out the restaurants and pubs near your hotel because they might be where you end up affter a long day.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,880 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Trip fun, as far as I can tell, these are all sound pieces of advice.

Is there rudeness in this thread?