We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
466 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

Ok - We know we're looking at some sort of flight into London in some part of the morn ----

Given that we're probably gonna have to go thru Customs? from the US - & have 2 girls ages 8 & 10 with us -----

what flight should we get in time coming in?

(considering me & the girls will be TIRED - Hubby maybe) ---

We need to - i guess? - get into the airport and go right to a hotel/b*B via Taxi to snoooze?????

Should we encourage all to sleep on the BA flight over????? (I've thought we could alll try to STAY UP? but don't know that' ll work - given we're sleep lovers?) ----

Please any advice will be most appreciated & considered!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

I fly over yearly, and actually prefer departing the States in the am (and getting into London in the evening). I've found it easier to get adjusted the to time differential that way (I'm in good shape when I awake the next morning). I just stay up until after midnight London time, and then I'm ready for bed. Just try not to nap on the flight over. I'll be taking an 8am flight next week from IAD that gets me to LHR at 8pm.

If you take the overnight flight, go for the taxi/car and head right to your hotel. You may luck out and be able to get to your room right away (if it was not used the night before). If so, nap away.

Option 2 (if room is not ready); leave your bags at the hotel and consider getting on one of those tour busses to take a tour around the city. This would give you a nice overview to all the sights (and you can see what you want to come back and see a second time). Get off someplace for lunch/people watching. Get back to your hotel for check-in time (likely around 3).

Canada
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

I have found that at that age on the plane my kids usually sleep. I never do - and usually resort to a mild sedative.

When we get to London we usually get a "second wind" and have enough energy to get to the hotel have a walk around perhaps and then have an early night.

Maybe this is why I really never feel jet-lagged at all- ?

My 11yr old daughter and I went last Christmas and that time she did not sleep at all - then when I was waiting for my hire-car she passed out on the sofa!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

Oh and we usually leave here (Mountain time) in the early evening and its 8 hrs or so - we get to London - early to mid-morning.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

We like leaving in the evening and sleeping on the plane. I always take a sleeping pill, eye mask and ear plugs.

Once we get into London I always go out in the sun. I feel the sun helps set my 'time' clock. I may end up going to bed at 8 but I generally sleep through the night and wake up fine and refreshed. We had no jet lag at all this last trip and still managed to get up each morning before 8. I would have preferred earlier but after all it is vacation so didn't want to kill us. :)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

I recently traveled to London with my 2 girls (ages 6 and 8) and here's what worked for us. Get an overnight flight so that you arrive in the morning. When you takeoff, set your watch to London time so that you can begin to get accustommed to the time. TRY to sleep. Luckily, my girls are still small enough to curl up in their seat like a cat. If you are able to check-in early at your hotel, unload your luggage, but do not let your girls lay down. It will be impossible to get them back up without a few fists flying around your head. Stay moving, sight-see, take vitamin E and some B-complex for energy. Keep bottled water in your room. Eat an early dinner and then go to bed. You will be refreshed the next morning. Find a coffee shop!

Somerset
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Into London From States w/Kids?

And whatever you do, DON'T rent a car and drive into the city!!! If I were you I'd get the Heathrow Express train into London Paddington. A taxi will be horrifically expensive and take far longer (especially if it's through rush hour Mon-Fri).

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
932 Reviews
London, UK