We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to buckingham

New Berlin...
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to buckingham

Would anyone recommend walking from the double tree hotel (30 JOHN ISLIP STREET) to buckingham palace. I am having a hard time figuring out how far this is. I think its doable. Thoughts?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to buckingham

www.walkit.com is great for questions like this.

It's almost exactly a mile, so will take about 20 minutes. Here's a map of the route with directions

http://tinyurl.com/ceuj5xh

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to buckingham

One thing I have learned from my travels in London, things are much nearer than you think! Walk it! You will see so much on your way. And take buses too, they are awesome!

London, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to buckingham

If you want a more interesting but slightly longer (30 min) walk go along the embankment past parliament and Palace of Westminster . Turn left across the square into birdcage walk and through St James Park.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to buckingham

Just don't ask for directions to "Buckingham" as you will be directed to the town of Buckingham, in Buckinghamshire, about 80 miles north-west of London. That would be a long walk.

We don't abbreviate street names in the UK, so if you want "Oxford Street" say "Oxford Street" not "Oxford" otherwise some well-meaning soul will have you on the bus to the dreaming spires before you know it. Which would be a nice trip, but not so good if you just wanted to go shopping.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to buckingham

Google Maps is also useful. It plots a route of 1.1 miles that it says should take 22 minutes. As pointed out, you may not want to walk directly from the hotel to the palace: there are a lot of much more interesting things in between your hotel and Buckingham Palace. Rather than taking the rather unremarkable Horseferry Road as suggested by Google Maps, I would walk up to Smith, then up to the back of Westminster School, and alongside Church House into Dean's Yard, where you see the main entrance to Westminster School as well as the exit from the cloisters of Westminster Abbey. Coming out of Dean's Yard, you cross over to the Methodist Central Hall and then up to St James's Park. If you look at a map it will be clear where these places are. Just look for Smith Square, Lord North Street, Cowley Street, Barton Street, Great College Street, Dean's Yard, The Sanctuary, then across Victoria Street and into Storey's Gate.

Certainly not the first person to think that Buckingham Palace is in Buckingham. I once spoke to somebody (from Liverpool, not a foreigner) who thought that the University of Oxford was on Oxford Street. He actually thought that Oxford itself, i.e. the City of Oxford, was an area of central London. He also thought that the City and University of Cambridge were somewhere in central London too.

Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to buckingham

Which probably led to many Scouse jokes ;)

7. Re: Walk to buckingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:46