We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do kids need ID for attractions?

darnestown md
Level Contributor
197 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Do kids need ID for attractions?

We are planning to keep our passports at our hotel during our trip . I was just wondering if my two teens need to bring any type of ID for any of the attractions in London?

thank you!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

I can't think of anywhere where they would need ID. We never take ID with us and we live here.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,452 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

I'm assuming you are asking in case you need to prove that they are under 16 (the usual child entry cut off). I would think it unlikely, but if they potentially look older, is there any other kind of ID that has their DOB? Or, just carry a photocopy of passport ID page.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

I would say no. I have never done this.

Out of curiosity, which attractions were you intending on using them for?

Edited: 12 July 2012, 23:44
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

I did see them asking for student IDs at Westminster Abbey a couple of days ago, so I'd guess if they are (or look) close to the cutoff you might need ID. I've never needed it for my daughter, but she's only 14. If they don't drive, you could get them state ID cards if you don't want to carry their passports.

Mentioned in this post
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
18,748 Reviews
London, UK
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

Student ID's are slightly different, in that people in their twenties and older could be students. I've never seen ID requested for children, and I suspect it would only be asked if the child looked very old indeed for their age.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

how old are they? if 18 or 19 they might need ID to buy a beer, if younger and with parents they should not need ID to get a child's price in entry fees.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

You should keep the ID'S if they have any in case they look older than their age but you would really be needing it as a tourist travelling with family and kids, what could you possible need to show an ID for? Atleast atrraction places meant for kids dont require:)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

I don't think it would be required, the only ID I've shown is when getting the concession entry at attractions due to disabilty.

9. Re: Do kids need ID for attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:46