We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london LHR to liverpool station?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
london LHR to liverpool station?

Arriving LHR Tuesday 17 july 1000 am us airways. Booked on the rail and sail from Liverpool to Amsterdam Tuesday evening. How do I get from airport to train station? Any advice I'm a first timer.

What do I have time to do?

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

Firstly, it's Liverpool STREET. Please don't truncate street names or station names. There is a city called Liverpool (ever heard of the Beatles) 200 miles from London and you could easily be given directions or tickets there which won't help you much. Somebody asked a similar question last week and many people did think he meant Liverpool (Merseyside) and gave "wrong" advice. So no I'm not being pedantic.

Now, from Heathrow to Liverpool STREET, you'd take the underground's Piccadilly line to Holborn, where you'd change to the Central line for Liverpool Street. If you need a step free change, you can take the Piccadilly line to Kings Cross St. Pancras, and then an eastbound train from the Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, and Circle line platforms.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 05:33
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

Eric, if you were to arrive at Heathrow and ask for directions to Liverpool station, you would be sent to the northwest of England, hundreds of miles from where you want to go.

It sounds pedantic, but please don't truncate street, road or station names. Liverpool Street station is your destination in London; Liverpool is not.

From LHR T1, where your US Airways flight will arrive, make your way to the Underground station serving T1,3. Board a Piccadilly line train towards Cockfosters. Alight at Holborn and change to an eastbound Central line train towards Epping (perhaps Hainault, Leytonstone, they'll do).

At Holborn you'll make your way down a flight of stairs and up a very long escalator when making the connection. Alight from the Central line train at Liverpool Street station.

There is a left luggage room near platform 10; the cost is £8 per piece.

If you're willing to stash your bags at the rail station you may walk or take a number 42 or 78 to the Tower: tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…liverpoolstreet-2161.pdf Spitalfields Market, with a handful of places to eat and drink, is a short walk away along Bishopsgate to Brushfield Street.

The number 100 from Wormwood Street will take you to the (free) Museum of London. The 100, 11, 23 or 26 will take you to St Paul's; you can walk across the Millennium Bridge if the weather behaves, a nice walk and a bit of fresh air.

A one day zones 1 - 6 Travelcard from Heathrow will cost £8.50; use the card for the Underground journey to the rail station and to make your way for a few hours until you have to catch the train to Harwich International for the ferry.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

Thanks

Exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

Eric, sorry for my somewhat brusque post earlier. But we get lots of posts from my US compatriots who make the same mistake.

While I (living in Portland OR) would happily ask a taxi driver to take me to 41st & Madison, knowing full well he's not going to drive me 1,700 miles to Wisconsin, you can't do the same in the UK.

Similar issues arise with Gloucester (Road), Leicester (Square) and Oxford (Street or Circus), amongst others.

Hope you have a great trip.

Wagga Wagga...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

G`Day, Interested in the above posts regarding travel from LHR to Liverpool Street Rail Station. My wife and I ( Young Aussie Seniors ) arrive early on the14th May with luggage for our Baltic cruise departing Harwick the next day 15th May at 17.00pm

We are planning to stay overnight near the Liverpool St Railway Station as we are hoping to take in a few of the London attractions. ( St Paul`s , Tower of London etc ) I am just a little concerned about the stairs when changing trains but still like the idea of using the tube train system . Would appreciate any suggestions.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

"I am just a little concerned about the stairs when changing trains but still like the idea of using the tube train system."

Reply #1 included advice for a step-free journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

Are traveller plus and us business traveller programmed by the same person. Lol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

Unfortunately, the "step free" journey in @1 is not entirely step free as there will be a short flight of stairs at Liverpool Street to deal with from platform level to the main station concourse.

Note as well that the reverse journey requires going up a flight of stairs that leads over the tube platforms and then down the other side.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

rbgs, you can avoid the short flight of stairs at Liverpool Street by using the lift between the Tube ticket hall and the National Rail ticket hall. It's just to the right of the stairs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: london LHR to liverpool station?

I think I know the lift you mean. I was trying to think of whether there was a ramp up (which there isn't) so didn't think of lifts. But the lift won't help with the return journey where stairs are the only option to catch the westbound trains.