We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lz8
TX
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

We will be in London Aug 15-20. I am wondering what tour attractions need to wait in long queues to get in, and is there any way to avoid the long queues (such as buying advanced tickets)? We plan to visit Tower of London, British Museum/Library, National Gallery, Windsor, V&A museum, War Room, etc

Also, we arrive around 6pm Aug 15, and leave in the afternoon of Aug 20. So in this case, should we buy Oyster card, or TravelCard?

Should I buy Oyster or TravelCard for my kids (12 and 14 years old)?

We will be staying at Premier Inn Kings Cross (at York Way), is there a double decker bus nearby the hotel? My kids want to take the double decker at least once.

Thank you all very much!

lz8
TX
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

I forgot to mention these 2 places ( St Paul cathedral and Westminster) that we also want to visit. Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

There will be a zillion buses leaving from King's Cross. I know there are a bunch along Euston Rd, but I'm pretty sure they leave from some of the other streets around King's Cross. Most of them are double decker buses.

I've never run into huge queues at any of those places, but I've heard you can get them at the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. When we went to Windsor Castle, there was no significant queue, but I'd guess there could be sometimes.

I've never seen any queue at the free sights you have listed, and I've been to the Cabinet War Rooms a couple of times and there's never been a queue.

I'll let someone else answer the transport question, but you should know if you're interested in using the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk as you would need paper travelcards rather than an Oyster card for that. You also need to know if you will need to travel before 9:30 as that is peak travel and more expensive.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

If you haven't already, visit www.tfl.gov.uk for timetables and routes etc. It's a fascinating site!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Museums and galleries should not be a problem, they are free to enter, although there may be security/bag checks which you can do nothing about.

At other sites like Windsor and the Tower, if you're really unlucky you might wait about 5-10 minutes to buy a ticket. It is generally better to visit the Tower early in the day and visit the Crown Jewels first, as these do get long lines, before wandering round or joining a (free) Yeoman Warder tour.

In your case I would get 7 day paper travelcards for zones 1+2 from Kings Cross rail ticket office (at surface level). These cover buses, tubes etc. and are valid for many 241 admissions, including the Tower:

daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

You need passport sized photos for the ID card issued with them, so bring some along. There are photobooths, but these will cost £5 per person once here.

From the airport to the hotel and back you could get singles each , or Oystercards, 1 each, with £10 PAYG on them but there is a £5 refundable deposit.

There are hundreds if not thousands of bus routes so finding one will not be a problem. (Included on the travelcard mentioned).

There are also sightseeing HOHO buses which can help you get an overview and orient to London's, frankly, barking, layout. These are an excursion though, and not a substitute for the travelcards mentioned.

One here for an idea:

bigbustours.com/eng/…default.aspx

lz8
TX
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Thank you all for the replies. They are very helpful!

We will be arriving and leaving via Eurostar train, so we can just walk to the Eurostar station from the hotel.

I supposed "Kings Cross rail ticket office (at surface level)" is not the same place as the Eurostar station?

Should I get 7 day paper travelcards for zones 1+2 or my kids (12 and 14 years old) ?

Thank you again!

lz8
TX
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Also, should we take the tube most of the time, or should we take the bus most of the time? Which one is faster?

lz8
TX
Level Contributor
171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Should I buy London Pass too?

Sorry for so many questions.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Tube is mostly faster, but buses for shorter trips can be a good way to see along the way.

Do buy a good guide book and map to help you get around and plan an itinerary.

No do not buy the LP too. Get the 241's -as mentioned many of the places you've mentioned (and many other activities from streetmarkets to parks) are free or not covered but it.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

If you are arriving at St Pancras you can get a paper travel card there. When you leave Arrivals, turn right and walk towards the back of the station; you will see a large ticket office with either National Rail or East Midlands Trains branding. They'll sell you what you need to take advantage of the 2-4-1 offers.

Colchester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: a few questions (queues, oyster card, travel card, bus)

Hi,

I spoke to a very helpful man at London Transport on Sunday about the cheapest way my 15 year old daughter could travel on our holiday.

The advise I was given was to buy myself a 7 day paper pass and buy my daughter a daily ticket. For her to get a 7 day pass she would need an photo oyster card.

By the time you have added the cost of the photo and the deposit of the oyster card, your saving is so small, it really isn't worth all the extra time.

Arranging a trip to London can be complicated enough without making more work for yourself.

Both your 7 day pass and the childrens daily passes can be purchased by machine at any tube station when you get here.

Hope this is of some help.

Michelle