We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

An interesting item on BBC News :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18798792

1. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 August 2012, 12:35
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

And fake police: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162983/London-…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

There won't be anyone to stop them when the Border Force goes on

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9410…

Edited: 18 July 2012, 22:59
Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

If you come to London act as you would do if travelling in the Third World. That's what I would do anyway. Only carry what you are going to spend that day and use a safe in your hotel to store the rest of your valuables. Beware also of crowds, and if you are in one keep your hand on your wallet etc.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

Do people really carry all their cash in their wallet? I carry a throw down wallet with no more than £20. My ID, cash and credit card is carried in a travel wallet inside my pants. For the flat key, I take a small lanyard and secure the key to my belt loop.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 23:12
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

"My ID, cash and credit card is carried in a travel wallet inside my pants."

Sorry but this did make me LOL!!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

I now wear a neck wallet at all times (even when at home and only going to the local shops).

I started doing this when my wallet slipped out of the back pocket of my trousers a few years ago while i was on holiday (I was sliding down a rock on a beach !).

Luckily my wife was behind me and saw it, but as it had my various bank cards and a lot of cash in it it could have been a lot worse.

So I bought a neck wallet and put my bank cards, and the large bank notes (£20, £10) in my neck wallet and use my normal wallet for loose change and small notes (£5). I also use it for my passport when on holiday.

I feel much safer knowing bank cards and large bank notes are safely round my neck.

If I do lose my wallet, or get it stolen, I know I am only going to lose a small amount of money.

Few muggers would even think of asking you if you have money in a small bag round your neck and will be "happy" if they get away with your wallet.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

>>"My ID, cash and credit card is carried in a travel wallet inside my pants."

Sorry but this did make me LOL!!<<

And I am very, very happy to be on holiday and it shows. ;-)

[Sorry, should have said trousers].

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

I had a drink spiked in a bar in Rio in '97 and woke up three hours later minus my cash (fortunately only 50 quid) so that taught me never to carry excess money anywhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware pickpockets during Olympics !!

I keep my valuables in my pants as well.