We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Customs Crazy?

I am arriving Saturday early AM and just wondering how long its going to take to go through customs since I will be getting a ride.

Some people have said its bad but some say there hasnt been any problems and its not going to take long.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

takes no time to get through customs

immigration last Sat T5 took me 5 mins -UK passport

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Rather than customs (that's usually is just a walk through), do you mean immigration?

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Just wslk thro, not much a problem

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

I assume you mean immigration, not customs.

Customs is interested in what you have in your luggage: whether you are smuggling contraband. Almost everyone goes straight through customs without being stopped at all.

Immigration is interested in who you are, in other words passport control. How long that takes is a matter of luck.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Much will depend on what time you arrive and what terminal. I've used T5 recently and Immigration hasn't taken more than 15 minutes. I've also heard stories that T4 arrivals have taken up to one hour. Its hard to tell, but generally I would allow 30 minutes at least.

Considering how long it takes to get through Immigration in a US airport, this is actually rather efficient :-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

I always allow 45/60 minutes but it's usually quicker.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,133 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Hi

You will need to allow at least an hour as Chrella says. it will vary from terminal to terminal. Early am is a very, very busy time.

Why not exchange mobile numbers and ring as you collect your bags.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,679 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Knowing your flight number and arrival terminal might make it easier for us to have a guesstimate but that could easily change if your flight is late (or even early) but at least the immigration desks should be fully manned which will mean you shouldn't take more than an hour from touchdown to arrivals hall.

The order is immigration, baggage and then customs (where "they" can see you although you can't see "them") before you are home free.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

We got through immigration and customs in less than 30 min last week with an arrival time of 645am (approx). They have have additional staff on currently for Games arrivals and a special lane for "Games Families."

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Customs Crazy?

Ask the person who is collecting you to monitor your arrival on heathrowairport.com/flight-information/live-… It is easily done on a home PC or on a smartphone. Count on an hour to collect your luggage, clear immigration, etc. from wheels down on the tarmac to arriving in the arrivals hall.