We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday evening with an 11 year old

I think I'm doing fairly well with my itinerary, but what I'm really stumped with is Sunday evening. We get in from Paris at about 16:30 on Sunday, 26 August via Eurostar, and our hotel is just a few stops down the Picadilly line.

What I would love to do is have some dinner and wander around an interesting neighborhood or two. I think by then we might have had enough of formal activities and attractions and we'll just want to wander. Can you suggest any areas for a family of three that includes an 11 year old? Is this a good time to visit Covent Garden?

Edited to add: I would love a roast beef sunday dinner in a pub -- is August the wrong time of year to seek such a meal? Is there a good pub for this anywhere near the Bloomsbury area or near a fun neighborhood to wander in?

Thanks so much!

Edited: 22 July 2012, 17:50
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

An option for Sunday roast: harrisonbar.co.uk/index.php?page=food-menu

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Thank you Scott! It sure gets great reviews on TA :-) I haven't had Yorkshire pudding since my grandmother passed away and I'm excited at the prospect

Is the neighborhood interesting on a Sunday evening with a boy in tow?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Covent Garden or Leicester Square are fine .or why not take a walk along the Embankment

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

I think you would want to head somewhere else for for your evening walk, perhaps the South Bank for a stroll.

London, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Covent Garden is fine - though what makes it interesting (especially for an 11 yr old) will be whether there are street performers or not. Sometimes it can feel dead, other times, great energy. Not knowing your full itinerary, a great way to start a trip in London, especially with your child, would be a trip on the London Eye - preceeded or followed by a wak around Westminster so you can see the iconic London landmarks. I recommend the south bank walk - while not so much a neighbourhood, the vistas are great, and it too could be done pre- or post- the Eye. Walk either direction from the Eye to Tate Modern.

A couple of pubs in Bloomsbury that will be open for dinner and provide the menu you seek are the Lamb: www.youngs.co.uk/pub-detail.asp?PubID=421

and the Old Crown - though call both to confirm if a RB dinner is being offered: www.old-crown.co.uk

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

We were planning on doing the south bank during the first part of our stay, when we are staying at County Hall.

I'll show my son the embankment area -- I think by Sunday evening he might be quite done with picturesque areas filled with impressive buildings and lovely gardens.

And I know the prospect of shops and people watching is just the thing to lift his spirits when he's worn out. That's why I was wondering if Covent Garden is at all interesting on a Sunday evening,

Thanks!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Thanks Albion -- I hadn't seen your response when I wrote my last one. The Sunday evening will be near the end of our trip. We'll already have done a full bus tour of London, the London Eye, We were thinking a walk along the south bank, a visit to Shakespeare's globe, Our itinerary is going to be flexible, but I'm trying to nail down great ideas that we can do or choose to ignore depending on our mood at the time.

For our first three nights in London, we'll be based out of Park Plaza County Hall. We'll also visit Hampton Court Palace and do a tour of Stonehenge.

Then we're off to Paris for two nights, and back to Bloomsbury for our last two nights. From our Bloomsbury hotel, we'll do the Tower of London (twice, actually, as we got tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys) and the British museum, and shopping.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Your son might enjoy this walk with London Walks

walks.com/London_Walks_Home/…12930

It is the Haunted London walk. You don't have to pre-book- just show up at the specified meeting place. So you can play things by ear!

While I LOVE Covent Garden, a Sunday evening might not be the best time- most of the stalls in the market will be closed and I don't know if the buskers/street performers will be out. If you do decide to check it out, and it is not what you want, try wandering over to Leciester Square- it is great for people watching.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

Thanks! I actually have the London Walks tour on my list of possibilities -- but I know my son pretty well and I suspect there's a very good chance he will not be up to any sort of planned activity and will want some time to just hang out. So I'm trying to come up with a couple of ideas so we can be flexible.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday evening with an 11 year old

We were at the South Bank last night and it was buzzing. Lots of street performers and a fairground there at the moment.