We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Congratulations London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
752 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Congratulations London

Smashing opening ceremony! Didn't know the Queen could skydive.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Congratulations London

So much was included that it's inevitable some people will think there was too much of this or too little of that, even one or two things that might irritate them. I thought there was too much emphasis on pop and rock music and not enough on the great British classical composers. Although there was some Elgar, most people probably just thought it was background music. Unless I missed them, there was nothing by Vaughan Williams or Holst. There were even a few little section that verged on the boring for me. But, looking at the whole picture, it was still a very good and original show.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Congratulations London

Enjoyed most of it too. Interesting to have two hymns included, Cwm Rhondda and Abide With Me. Beautifully sung. The Paul McCartney finale spoiled it for me I'm sorry to say. Why don't these performers give up while they are ahead. There must be other iconic musicians who could have done a better job than that.

In a somewhat amusing aside, triggered by seeing the Archbishop of Canterbury sitting behind the Queen, and the appearance of Mr Bean, an article in a local newspaper here once mistakenly referred to the Archbishop as Rowan Atkinson.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 16:47
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,559 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Congratulations London

As an American, I loved that there was a celebration of the NHS - yes, it is flawed, etc as are all health care systems, but at least everywhere else actually has one. I think its inclusion is meaningful - imagine what England would be without it? (I don't have to imagine, I live in the U.S. and know)

What was really terrible is that here the NBC commentators simply could not stop talking over the ceremony - I had to turn it off before it ended because it was so annoying. I wish I could have watched it as the rest of the world saw it. Apparently, NBC also cut 30 minutes, including the tribute to the 7/7 victims - that is an appalling edit.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
151 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Congratulations London

I agree! Fantastic show! Even though I couldn't be there I felt like I was. Very impressive!

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Congratulations London

"I loved that there was a celebration of the NHS"

Agreed, most people in the UK have grown up with it and it has it's flaws, we like to moan about some aspects of it but Idefinitely wouldn't change it for another other system.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Congratulations London

It made me even more proud of being British!

It was a spectacular opening ceremony.

My only gripe would be that the commentaries were delivered in French first but I do understand why.

Music wise then I didn't go much for the Arctic Monkeys but other than that it was good.

Re the comment about Paul McCartney then he was an obvious choice but he did fluff it at the start.

London, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Congratulations London

I just finished watching it on the IPlayer.

@Orangetigger

I can't tell you how often I heard Oh Danny Boyle instead of boy...Although I knew it couldn't be Boyle.

What the TV could not show was the spirit between all the volunteers, simply brilliant.

BBC was approximately 2 seconds time delayed. We watched the fireworks from a restaurant in Westfield that also had TVs on and you could see the delay.

Still can't believe it's over now, but I am proud to be a part of this.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Congratulations London

Something to tell the grandchildren! :) And unfortunately was unable to spot you, but it was nice knowing you where there.

Have rewatched the Queen-Bond bit and love the look between the Queen and one of the corgis. Though I dont think she looked very impressed later in the show.

And re Paul McCartney I heard he was the main act for the closing ceremony, but nothing seems to be official yet

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Congratulations London

Ceremoney was great, even liked bit about celebrating NHS.

Less happy about the very tough policing of the monthly cycling event outside which had over 100 legally demonstrating cyclists detained without charge and disabled man beaten by police medic with riot stik just because they dared stray from road police had suggested. Also not happy about unmanned drones we have flying over SE London for surveillance for games.

And no one I kno has ticks to games , we aren't allowed to join n fun.

Still trying to et ticks for something

london
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Congratulations London

Yes the police were up for confrontation with the cyclists I feel. Monthly event which has taken place the last Friday of the month for the last couple of decades. Made the CND, suffragette, etc., stuff going on inside the stadium look a bit stupid. Especially the parade of pigeon cyclists on the end. Nice idealised vision of cycling in the show but reality rather different.