We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster journey history question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster journey history question

I'm curious as to how soon is the journey history available online for Oyster card usage. Is it real time? Are the records uploaded overnight to be visible on the web the next day? Is the availability different for a journey by bus vs by rail? Anyone know?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster journey history question

The online journey history for registered Oyster cards has a 24h lag time, or so I've found.

All journeys show. They are listed by date, with the time of each trip, mode of transport - eg 'Bus journey, route 254', the fare charged and the balance on one's Oyster card. That balance shows even if you have a Travelcard plus PAYG money on the card.

National Rail and Overground journeys are shown as well. If you travel on the Underground or DLR you'll see the stations where you touched in and touched out as well as the line(s) travelled.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster journey history question

Only journeys made after the card being registered can be seen online.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster journey history question

Journeys are uploaded over night so you can see the day before s online early in the morning. I have found that very occasionally bus journeys are late appearing, of never show.

If you want to know sooner that that, or if you have an unregistered card, then you can just ask at any underground station for a print out of the last few journeys.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster journey history question

It usually updates your balance within hours but I have waited for upto 72 hours recently to get a complete travel history breakdown.

United States
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster journey history question

Thanks for the follow-ups. I do have it registered and my child is visiting the UK. I just took a look yesterday and saw journeys from last weekend. Your responses have confirmed the updates are not real time, which is what I was curious about.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster journey history question

I have found the delay odd myself I thought the system could update instantly knowing technology these days.

United States
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster journey history question

Data is probably "uploaded" to the "mainframe" each night.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster journey history question

The station computers only "talk" to the main database at night. That is why refunds and top-ups are ready the next day. Could you imagine how slow getting through the gates would be if four million ticket checks/updates were carried out in real time each day.

United States
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster journey history question

And, my understanding is that information is also stored on the cards - e.g, your account balance (in the pay as you go case) is on the card.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster journey history question

The PAYG balance will show on the card when one touches in at a Tube barrier or on a bus. There are tiny windows at the Oyster readers which show the PAYG balance or the zones and end date of one's Travelcard if that's what one uses.

Tube station ticket machines show the most recent 10 trips when one touches in; station agents can give one a printout of those same ten trips too.