We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card insanity

Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sim card insanity

I know this question has been asked before millions of times but please be patient with me

A friend in the UK is sending me a smartphone he no longer uses for me to use in the UK

Can I go into a Carphone warehouse store , get a sim installed in the store and get advice about data plans and texting? I'm not interested in voice really Is £15-20 usually the price range?

Thank you!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim card insanity

Not sure what you mean, the price range is whatever credit you'd put on as the SIM won't cost anything. It's likely your mate will spend more posting the phone to you than it will cost to get one in a CPW and if you aren't using data, just text and calls, you don't need a smartphone.

Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim card insanity

No. I will be using mostly data and texts.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim card insanity

Will the phone unlocked/ jail broken? (presumably so)

From what I have learned following my daughter through a variety of phone stores in London thus week you can't get on a plan without proof of a UK address (. which for all I know you will have) but there seem to be a variety of pay as you go options.

There is also a Carphone Warehouse every yard or so.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim card insanity

You can't get on a CONTRACT without proof of address and a UK bank account but you can get on pre-pay with no problems. Many pre-pay SIMs are attached to plans which can be good value.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim card insanity

Yes, pre-pay would be your best deal but even have a look at giffgaff.com as they offer free or exceptionally good data coverage and they use the 02 network.

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim card insanity

I'd either pre-order a giffgaff sim to use in the phone your friend sends you, or pre-order a cheap PAYG unlocked phone including data sim to have it delivered to your hotel. We did that before we moved back, got a phone and sim for under £15 from tesco.co.uk. Suited our limited needs, which were similar to what you're describing. Now that we're here permanently, have unlocked our US iphones and use giffgaff sims.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim card insanity

Are the prepay phones at Carphone Warehouse locked? Or when I go to France, can I just stick a different sim card in and use it?

Thank you!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim card insanity

They are unlocked.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim card insanity

Thanks so much Joe!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim card insanity

.. apart from iPhone it seems but you wont get one of those for a tenner :-)

Full details here http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view%28%29=c{ede583e0-1fa9-11df-4872-f20203001e3d}