We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is London at the moment?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
238 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
How busy is London at the moment?

We are thinking of taking a last minute trip to the city this weekend, 2 adults, 2 children aged 9 & 6.

Just wondered if people would advise against going this weekend because it's too busy, or whether its not really that bad.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,677 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

According to press reports, the West End is virtually deserted. Bars, restaurants, shops....many reporting huge fall in customer numbers.

Visitors put off by predictions of crowds and traffic chaos......

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

Really not that bad. News reports have suggested the shops are quieter than usual and public transport has generally held up ok. I have been on one very packed train full of football supporters, but that can happen in season anyway. I wouldn't be in any hurry to drive anywhere near the main Olympic venues, but otherwise go for it. There are lots of fun non ticketed things going on.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

There are anecdotal reports of hotels drastically lowering their room rates so presumably you have found a bargain, I'd say go for it.

I'm going in on Sunday, will be interesting to see what its like.

London, United...
Level Contributor
336 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

We were in town last weekend, and it was extremely quiet except right around Green Park tube, when it was suddenly very crowded (they actually were doing one in one out to the tube)

Way quieter than a normal Saturday around Oxford St, for example.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
553 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

The numbers travelling on public transport are likely to increase significantly as from tomorrow, when the athletics events get under way at the main Olympic stadium. 80,000-90,000 (or whatever the capacity is) all wanting to get there and back and most will probably be travelling within fairly tight time periods. Busiest time will probably be at the end of the evening sessions, with huge numbers wanting to get back into central London all at once (this may not be an issue of course, given that you have two young children with you).

London
Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

It's been very quiet around London Bridge. They actually stopped people from accessing some of the overground platforms on Monday because of the all day eventing at Greenwich Park, but they needn't have bothered.

Both trains and station are quieter than usual and the one-way system is just delaying people's access and egress needlessly.

As the others have said, go for it.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 13:48
London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

Apart from the hoards of volunteers in Pink tshirts ready to direct clueless tourists to wherever they want to head you really wouldn't know anything was going on in Central London where I work !

If you've found a cheap hotel room then go for it!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
238 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

That's really helpful, thank you.

I had read that it was quiet, but you are never quite sure.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,106 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

so far it's not that different to a Saturday here in Holborn. Well, that's an exaggeration but its MUCH quieter than a normal working day. Buses are wandering around looking for passengers and tubes don't seem to be particularly full.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How busy is London at the moment?

I went up to London yesterday, to go the BFI IMAX and there seemed to be quite a few people around - lots of people who looked like they were there for the Olympics. The tube was pretty crowded. Some carriages of the District Line train I got on were rammed like it was the rush hour. Quite crowded walking across the Jubilee Bridges too.