We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in London.....tube questions

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
A day in London.....tube questions

I have a 12 hour layover in London so I really probably have about 7 hours in the city itself by the time I get in there and need to give myself 3 hours before boarding the 2nd leg of the journey.

I'm thinking of walking around the London Brige and the Tower of London and then shooting over to Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Big Ben.

I'll be buying a Heathrow Express pass from the airport to Paddington Station. What tube tickets will I need to purchase for these zones? Should I get a day pass or what do you recommend for these areas? I'm not familiar with how far Paddington is from these spots as well.

London
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

The areas you want to visit aren;t near Paddington, so taking Heathrow Express to Paddington isn't a good use of your time/money.

Buy a zone 1/6 travelcard at Heathrow and travel into / out of London on the Piccadily line - changing to the District at Hammersmith. This will be much cheaper - and overall journey time about the same/

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

You would do better ignoring the Heathrow Express and getting the tube to/from London. It's a LOT cheaper with little if any difference in timing once you factor in the journay from Paddington to your chosen attraction.

A zone 1-6 travelcard is £8.50 offpeak (after 0930 in the week and anytime at weekends) and will cover all your travel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

totally agree buy a travel card. the heathrow express is very expensive compared to a travel card and does not bring you very central to the places you wish to visit. you will be able to jump on and off tubes to visit your location. jump the piccadilly line straight to green park. walk through green park to buckingham palace, then through st james's park via horse guards, along whitehall passing downing street to westminster abbey and big ben. cross the river from big ben and the london eye is there. from there walk up to waterloo cross the river to embankment station and catch the tube(district or circle line) to tower hill for the tower of london. for your return journey back to heathrow again catch the circle or district westbound to south kensington joining the piccadilly line back to heathrow.

this will be a long day with a lot of walking. if you wish to make the most of the day then maybe cut of the tower of london part and visit covent garden or somewhere like that for food before returning to heathrow.

i hope it works out for you :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

If you would rather see London instead of the inside of Tube tunnels, add a bus journey or two to your day's wanderings.

The RV1 from Tower Gateway will take you to County Hall; from stop Z you may walk to Parliament Square in about 10 minutes.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe… tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…county-hall-a4.pdf

The 15 from the Tower to Charing Cross gives the option to walk along Whitehall to Parliament Square; the number 11 will take you as well, and beyond to Victoria. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…charingcrossquad-2048.pdf

Travelcards are accepted on buses as well as the Underground - just show the ticket to the driver when you board.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,660 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

Does this help?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c170832/Lon…

Puchong, Malaysia
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

Yup. just buy the zone 1-6 oneday travelcard, beside the tube you can also use the travelcard to take the bus

7. Re: A day in London.....tube questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:15