We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

Hey, I was thinking of booking a hotel near Heathrow for my next visit to London as the holiday Inn / Premier Inn are fairly cheap :-)

We will be doing the touristy things mainly , we both dont mind getting the tube into central London as long as it's not longer than say 20 mins away or so. if it was up to me I'd just book a hostel or BnB but the other half likes something a bit more modern yet still at budget price :-%. We are in our 20's so dont mind a bit of travelling in and out. Do you think this would work out ok or would it be too far out ..?

Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

For most people, its a terrible idea.

The tube takes an hour, give or take, Then you have to get to the airport to get the tube (or get to a nearby tube station, same thing). So actual time is going to be about 1.5 hours each way.

Lots of other downsides as well which I wont go into unless the idea of 1.5 hours hasn't already put you off :-)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

I concur. First you'd have to get to the tube station from the Premier Inn, which would involve the Hotel Hoppa bus. Then you've got up to an hour on the Piccadilly line.

There are plenty of Premier Inns and Travelodges in London much better placed for sightseeing.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

I wouldn't stay at Heathrow, check out a Premier Inn that is in central London, by the time you've paid for a return ticket to Heathrow it wont be that much cheaper and you won't waste time travelling.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

Staying near Heathrow is a good idea if one has a very late arrival or very early departure - but it's a poor idea if one wishes to sightsee in central London.

See what Travelodges can offer. The new build properties are minimalist but have clean and comfortable beds, clean washrooms, a bit of Freeview on the televisions, and if the rate is right a bargain stay in the Smoke.

Have a look at the TLs in City Road, Southwark, Waterloo, Bank, Tower Hill (Goodman's Yard), Liverpool Street and Aldgate East (near the c2c rail lines, but if you're not light sleepers it shouldn't be an issue). They're not bad for £30 - 60 per night, and are all much better situated for sightseeing than hotels in Bath Road.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

Tune hotels are a newish concept at the budget end of the market but if you want a bar and restaurant then the Premier Inn chain are your best option.

Avoid staying at or near the airport - it's a false economy.

www.tunehotels.com/our-hotels/united-kingdom

Edited: 02 August 2012, 20:18
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

Guess I'll give it a miss then eh !! I'll have a look at some of the above.

Cheers !!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

Yup, stay in town. There's a Travelodge and a Holiday Inn on King's Cross Road.

8. Re: Heathrow Hotel for citybreak...close enough ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 23:17