We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

Victoria
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a gluten free breakfast directly at London Gatwick airport?

I should mention that I'm also vegan, though if push came to shove, it's more important that I find something GF.

It looks like there's a Marks & Spencer Simply Food where I might be able to grab some fruit or something. But any restaurants or cafes that might cater for an early GF breakfast (~7am arrival)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,329 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

I imagine you will be able to get porridge, fruit and yogurt but it might help if you suggested some other things you would find acceptable.

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

The Wetherspoon Beehive restaurant in South Terminal opens at 5am each day and offers a Gluten Free Breakfast consisting of:

Fresh Fruit and Yoghurt

Apple slices, grapes and banana, served with a low-fat natural yoghurt.

Victoria
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Unfortunately I can't eat oatmeal/porridge because it's not gluten free (unless specified otherwise).

I had found similar results re: fruit and yogurt, but yogurt, unfortunately, also makes me incredibly sick, so that is also out.

Looks like it might just be fruit as the best way to go, although if I could find a place that's reputed to handle cross contamination well, I might consider an omelette. Or a gluten free grab-and-go sandwich would also do the trick, if there is such a thing at this particular airport...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

There is a branch of EAT airside at the North Terminal building. Could be worthwhile checking the website to see if anything on the menu is acceptable.

M&S have prepacked fruit, and may have sandwiches made with Genius (GF) bread, but I'm not certain about the latter.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

There is a cafe rouge who are good with gluten free options. They have an allergen menu online, and if you want a cooked breakfast I suspect you can ask for specific items (e.g. no sausage or toast). So they wont have gluten free substitutes but will understand about cross contamination and can advise on products (although checking online will help). They do have veggies options, so it might be that some of the products are vegan and GF (but I'm a big meat eater so not sure about this).

M&S do have GF sandwiches, but I think they all have mayo (i think). They also have muffins but I cant remember if they are dairy free (I'm GF but eat dairy so don't always notice this detail)

Victoria
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

Thanks again for the tips! I'll have to check out EAT and Cafe Rouge, and also keep an eye out for sandwiches and muffins at M&S.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

Hi. The Lloyds No.1 Bar at Gatwick airport is a J D Wetherspoons. They do a menu with gluten free options marked with GF. They do breakfasts. I am Coeliac and shall be eating there myself next week! Also cafe Rouge but the staff are not well educated in gluten free as I experienced last year.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 10:10
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

I tried at Cafe Rouge, I liked very much and the food was great.

9. Re: Gluten Free at London Gatwick Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:16