We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thailand
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

As the subject..

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

There is so much to see in Bath. Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, Royal Crescent, Assembly Rooms, Museum of Costume. You need at least 2 days to do Bath justice

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

Bath is fantastic! I would say it is a must for any visitor to this country. To my mind Stonehenge is over-rated.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

We 'did' Bath and Stonehenge on a previous trip to the UK. Bath is a lovely town, gives you some more perspective about the country whence you get out of London. Take your walking shoes, there is so much to see. So, my answer is yes, go to Bath, you will not be disappointed. Poppa

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

stonehenge at dawn with the sun rising and in the mist is a majic place. Later in the day its a bunch of big rocks in a field over-run with tour buses and their contents. Bath on the other hand is a delight. A largely intact Georgian city with importand and interesting Roman ruins. If you have a car, nearby Longleat, the home of the Marquess of Bath. is magnificent. The attendant lion safari and theme park hoopla is pretty kitchy but I guess it pays the bills. Go see the house & ignore the rest.

USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

Absolutely go to Bath - there's so much to see and do! And while you're there, pop into Sally Lunn's and have a Sally Lunn bun with cinnamon butter and a cup of tea. And if you really like tea, purchase some from their shop downstairs - it's my favorite!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

Bath is so unique, with its setting in the Avon valley between the Cotswold and Mendip hills. There is a sense of uniformity to the buidings, all done in the Classical style out of the local limestone with cresents, squares and circuses. It is so beautiful.

As it provides the only warm springs in England it has been attracting visitors since before the Romans, therefore the city owes its entire existence to the tourist trade. The locals know that, and seem so much friendlier as a result.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

It would be rude not to!! This has got to be one of the best cities in the UK. The architecture is amazing and the Royal Crescent and Circus are incredible. Corny as it sounds, don't miss the open top bus tours - they give you a real flavour of the city. The Roman Baths are also a must - you are transported back in time. It gets VERY busy/touristy in the summer however, so choose your time there carefully. Warning: VERY difficult to park during busy periods. The park and ride on the outskirts of Bath is recommended.

By the way, Stonehenge is not that close to Bath. Check out the map and you'll see it is a good drive away.

You must go to Sally Lunns - lots of history attached to this old type cafe/restuarant.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

Londonwalks do an Explorer Day to Bath once a week (I think Wednesdays). We showed up at Paddington Station, met a guide from Londonwalks and had an enjoyable/informative day in Bath. I highly recommend Bath and the guided tour concept.

Doug

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

How far is it from London to Bath? What is the best way to travel there from London?

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beside Stonehenge, is it worth going to Bath?

How far is it from London to Stonehenge? What is the best way to travel there?