We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

Scotland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

I've been lucky enough to get a ticket for one day of this year's championships. I'll be travelling with my 14 year old son and would welcome any advice on good places to stay.

We'll be arriving at Paddington on the Heathrow Express and I would really prefer to have a tube journey to our hotel that doesn't involve a change of line, or alternatively a journey that can be done by taxi without a fare to make me faint! However, I would also like the hotel to be in an area that gives us an easy tube ride to Wimbledon itself. Does such a location exist? I've been looking at the Hammersmith area as a possible option - what's that area like? Are there better options? We won't have a lot of time for sightseeing, so I don't mind if the hotel is not in the city centre - I wouldn't even mind staying somewhere close to the All England Club if there are any good hotels nearby.

Basically, we'd like to stay in a decent hotel in a safe area that's convenient for the journeys we need to make, but I don't have an unlimited budget. I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

L

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

When are you going? You could try the Darlington Hyde Park, well received and near Paddington. Or you could have a look around Earl's Court - the K&K George, a Travel Inn, the Best Western Burns, Comfort Inn Kensington, Shaftesbury Kensington, HI Ken Forum (and a smaller HI across the road) are potentials. There is an Ibis in the area, but it's closer to West Brompton tube, still not a bad trip to Wimbledon.

You could try laterooms.com, hoteldoorman or Priceline to see what one of those companies can do for you.

London
Level Contributor
562 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

If you stayed in the Earls Court area you would have easy access to Wimbledon on the District line, easy access to Paddington also on the District line and easy access to the West End on the Piccadilly line.

And, of course, the Piccadlly line also runs directly from Earls Court to Heathrow Airport without the considerable extra expense of using the Heathrow Express and inconvenience of changing at Paddington.

Although Earls Court used to have a slightly sleazy image, it's fairly well to do now, particularly to the south of the Tube station where there are a number of useful restaurants.

Personally I wouldn't stay in Wimbledon just because you have a ticket for one day of the tennis championships. For all the other days of your trip you'll be landed with a longer Tube journey to the major attractions in the West End and City.

Also, accommodation there will be at a premium and the District line Wimbledon branch will be packed with other tennis visitors. Incidentally, the most convenient station for the tennis is Southfields and not Wimbledon itself!

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

i agree dont stay in wimbledon not that there is anything wrong but i guess youd want to be more central for anything else so something within easy access to the district line or circle line so high street ken, south ken, earls court, and yep get off at southfields for the tennis they usually do up the station in green baize etc. cant miss it and enjoy !

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

I just want to repeat that the most convenient station is Southfields. We didn't know and got off at Wimbledon and walked FOR EVER!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

The first time I visited London years ago was because we had tickets for the tennis championships. I don't recall the exact route we took to get to Wimbledon each day, but we were in the heart of the city and had no problems at all getting out to Wimbledon, easy to get there, so I would recommend not getting the accomdation based just on how easy it might be to get to Wimbledon. I also echo the others' sentiments, do not get off at Wimbledon!!

I'm not sure if you are aware or not but most matches are in the afternoon, we always spent our mornings exploring the city and most days went out to Wimbledon after an early lunch or late brunch. You get the best of all worlds that way.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

The underground to Wimbledon gets very very busy in the morning during the tennis fortnight. You would therefore be best to stay in the Paddington/Edgware Road/Marylebone area so that you can get the District Line train from its' start at Edgware Road. Not quite so many trains as from Earls Court, but at least a fairly guaranteed seat.

Scotland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay to visit Wimbledon

Thanks so much to all of you for your very helpful advice. I feel a lot better equipped to make a decision about where to stay and I've made a careful note to get off at Southfields and not Wimbledon!! I think on balance it would be better after all to stay nearer the city centre as advised and take a chance to see some of the sights. I've checked out the hotels suggested by TravellerPlus and some of them look very promising indeed! I'll probably make a shortlist and present it to my son for a joint decision! Many thanks for the tips.

While looking for some of these hotels, I also came across the Park Lane Mews Hotel which I really like the look of but can't find any reviews. Getting from there to Wimbledon may involve the overcrowded carriages Mr Cellophane warns of, as well as a change of train, neither of which I'm keen on, but if the hotel was nice enough it may be worth the inconvenience! Does anyone have any information about it? Is it worth adding to my list of places to consider?