We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Bankside

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Bankside

We arrive at Heathrow on BA at 730 AM on a Monday morning. There are two of us with 3 or four bags. We are staying at a flat at New Globe Walk, Bankside.

Our host estimates that a taxi will probably be £100, She highly recommends taking the Heathrow express to Paddington station and then a cab from there. Says It's much cheaper and faster and it's quite easy.

Do you agree? Will there be steps to drag luggage up.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

Your host's estimate of £100 for taxi fare is on the high side even for a black cab, which will cost about twice the price of a prebooked minicab.

Your host's suggestion of taking the HEX is odd, as Paddington station is well out of the way for Bankside; 'much cheaper' is also an unusual comment since singles on the HEX cost just under £20 per person. The taxi from Paddington to Bankside would be pricey, with a pokey journey across London (and a fare of £20 - 25).

If you wish, you may make the journey step free for about £20, perhaps a bit less.

The walk from your arriving flight (very likely at a satellite terminal at T5) to the UK border desks, then passport control and baggage collection may take an hour. You would be wise to linger at the airport until after 0900 so your journey will be one shared with fewer fellow travellers.

Follow the signs at LHR T5 for the Underground station, keeping your eyes averted from the desk in the Arrivals hall selling HEX and Underground tickets. Follow the signs to the lifts (just outside the terminal building) and go down to the Underground level, where you'll find a staffed ticket desk.

You may buy cash single fares for £5.30 each or put £5 on Oyster cards for the journey to central London: travel from T5 after 0930 and you'll pay just £2.90 per person. You'll pay a refundable £5 for each Oyster card, which will be returned to you along with the unused Pay As You Go money when you hand in the card at a Tube ticket office at the end of your stay.**

Board the train and sit in the last car - turn left when you walk on to the platform. Settle back and enjoy the journey. Alight at Green Park station and take the escalator up to the ticket hall - but don't leave the station. Instead, take another escalator back down to the Jubilee line platforms for a train towards Stratford.

This sounds complicated but is not (I do it often, with two rolling bags); it's much easier than following the directions in the station.

Alight from the Jubilee line train at London Bridge station, where there are escalators up to the ticket hall and street level.

Follow the signs to the rail station concourse - again there are escalators up - and make your way to the spanky new taxi rank. Hop in a cab for the short journey to New Globe Walk; fare should be no more than £8 - 10.

**Have you seen the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk ? If you would like to use them you will need National Rail-issued paper Travelcards, which you may buy at London Bridge station.

california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

Thanks. I should say my host is an American who's been living there for only a few months. I guess she has a lot to learn.

If I follow you right,your plan will cost about L20, give or take a few L. How long do you think it will take?

What Will a precooked minicab cost ,. and will it handle four suitcases?

What do you think a black cab will cost and how long will that take?

Thank you very much for your help.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

A black cab will probably cost around £70-75 depending on traffic. A pre booked car service would be in the £45 range. Journey time to Bankside would probably be about an hour.

For a list of generally well reviewed car services see the following thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k48869…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

The journey from T5 to New Globe Walk should take about an hour. If you book a minicab and leave Heathrow at 0900, travel time might be about the same as traffic to the city on a Monday morning will be heavy. A black cab would take the same amount of time as a minicab, but the fare will likely be £65 - 75.

Minicab fare from LHR T5 to SE1 will range from £40 - 55; a saloon car will be big enough for two but you might have to pay a couple of pounds extra for more than two bags. Have a look at www.handicars.co.uk www.justairports.com www.hummingbirdcars.com and www.simplyairports.co.uk

california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

Thank you both so much.

London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

That is a wonderful location.

I think that a quicker route by underground train would be from Heathrow to Hammersmith underground station. Get off the train and wait for any District line train arriving on the other side of the platform, which would be within 5 minutes. Get off at Blackfriars station which has recently been modernised and has elevators. And then get a taxi from Blackfriars to your apartment for about £5 to £10.

After you've got on the train at Heathrow there are no stairs at all.

I haven't done the math, but that would probably cost you about £15 to £20 in total. From getting on the train at Heathrow to opening the door to your apartment would probably be almost exactly an hour.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 17:25
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

I was thinking of recommending Blackfriars, and then even a walk through the rail station platforms to the south bank exit and then a stroll to your place.

But, I'm not sure if the construction is finished. The tube station part is, and is completely step free. But last time I was there (May/June) only one lift up to the railway platforms was operational (on the north side). If anyone can give an update that would be great (a fully operational station can't be far off).

Absent any news, I'd go with TP's recommendation as there are more taxis readily available at London Bridge.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

Blackfriars was closed for so long, I keep forgetting about it.

The rail station refurbishment is now completed, with the station step free at both the north and south banks; lifts in place at both ends and escalators (hurrah!) at the north bank as well.

The Underground station has lifts and escalators, with the latter handier for the journey to and from the platforms.

There isn't a taxi rank at Blackfriars, and I suspect cabbies won't want to stop in New Bridge Street because the station is so near the roundabout, but there should be plenty of taxis in Queen Victoria Street, across from the Black Friar pub.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

I just did this exact trip. Change at Hammersmith, exit Blackfriars, walk to essentially New Globe. Worked great for me, but a few comments.

Any normal person would do what I did, escalator from tube platform to train station. Exit train station to streets, cross bridge, navigate city streets to lodging. I only had one roller suitcase, so the walk from tube to lodging wasn't a problem. But if I had any issues carrying luggage, I wouldn't want to do that walk.

I did the trip on a Sunday, and there were zero cabs in the area around Blackfriars.

After being in the area for a week, I discovered a route that makes the walk much easier... But the route isn't obvious... You exit the tube, but don't go outside. Instead you go up to the level where the commuter trains are, use Oyster/travel card to enter commuter train area, cross the river on bridge that serves as platform for commuter trains, take elevator down from platform and exit on South side of river. From there a pretty easy walk. While this route works great if you know what you are doing, not sure I'd suggest it for someone just arriving in London and dealing with luggage.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Bankside

I would advice you to prebook a cab, it will cost you less than taking the black taxi, when I was there a few weeks I used those from 247airporttransfer and justairports ...can t tell what to choose ... you can find on internet reviews about lots of car services and hope everything will be alright, cheers !