We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in the Theatre District?

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in the Theatre District?

My sister and I are going to London for four days. We would like to be in the Theatre District. I've made a reservation at Radisson Edwardian Hampshire, which is near Liecester and Covent Gardens. Does that sound like a good choice? Any recommendations regarding location of where we should be?

Many thanks, Cheryl

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

as locations go its hard to beat its right in leicester square ..although actual reviews can be seen on the hotels link above which will give you an indication . you have the advantage of the half price ticket booth for shows being about 10 paces from the entrance to the hotel.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

The location of this hotel is fantastic. Here is a ling to various user reviews on this site, I've not stayed there myself.

I'm not sure what you are paying but I see Lastminute.com has an offer of 175GBP per night at the moment, which is pretty good for a five start hotel in central London (at least in my opinion).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d192033…

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

I did not mean a ling, I meant a linK. Sorry about the typo.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

Cheryl: I've stayed at that hotel and it's a great location. If you don't mind some noise, try to get a room facing the square and you might get to celebs arriving for a movie premiere.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

Perfect choice, Cheryl! I stayed there last year (my first time in the city) because it looked central to just about everything and as it turned out, I could not have made a better choice. You really are in the middle of it all--just take a few steps in any direction for famous sites and museums, great shopping and restaurants/cafes/pubs, quaint alleys and the river...and of course easy access to the theatre and great nightlife (clubs, bars, coffees shops abound.) You can find much of this in other parts of the city, just not in this heavy concentration (so many great options within very easy walking distance!)

The hotel itself is nice and the room is very good; comfy and American-like. For the price I expected a little more posh, but that's your initiation into the world of London hotels. Breakfast too expensive. I didn't see anything open that early as I walked out the door in the morning, so I headed to McDonalds and Burger King on either side of Leicester Square. I'm sure if you walk a little there are "more Londonish" alternatives for coffee and a roll or something more hearty.

I think you'll be happy with your choice, especially if this is your first time and you want to be in the thick of it.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

I have another breakfast idea. We stayed at the Hilton Trafargar (not far from the Radisson) and balked at the high price of the breakfast. So every morning we ate at the dessert/ice cream place on the west side of Leicester Square (a quarter turn around the Square from your hotel). We had a large cinnamon bun and a pot of drip coffee every day. At 6 pounds/person, it was much more affordable than hotel meals. And it tided us over well to a lunch in some pub.

London
Level Contributor
896 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

Coffee and a cake for £6? Ouch!

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

Well, it was a pot of coffee and cake each. We are both big coffee drinkers (Starbucks-aholics), and there was about 2.5 cups per pot.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

one of my breakfast ideas would be the best coffee and a croisant in soho (about £2.30)to take away from Amatos in old compton street and then get straight onto exploring the city.

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in the Theatre District?

Thank you all for your posts. I think we are going to stay in the REH for two nights and then when we return, we might stay in Sheraton Park Lane. I'll post how it goes upon our return. We're really excited.