We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Earls Court

S C
Halifax...
6 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick to Earls Court

I am arriving at Gatwick @ 9:30 AM. I need advice on how to get from the airport to Earls Court tube station.

Can someone help with information to make this as smooth as possible? Wich trains do I take and is this a difficult process?

(I am staying for one week, so I "think" my best option is to buy a 7 day pass on the Oyster card? Can I buy this pass at Gatwick? Can I use it to ge to Earls Court, or do I need to buy a seperate GAtwick Express ticket?

london
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

You can take a bus.

http://www.easybus.co.uk/london-gatwick

Cheaper if you book in advance, from £2. £10 on the day.

If you prefer to take the train, take a train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction (destination Victoria, but NOT the Gatwick Express) and change there for West Brompton (which is very near Earls Court, it will be much easier to travel to West Brompton then walk, than try to get to Earls Court tube station by train from Gatwick)

I think the bus is probably slightly easier, as you have some stairs at Clapham Junction, but the train is good too.

Train fares are:

Gatwick-East Croydon £4.90

East Croydon-West Brompton £3.60

Total £8.50 Buy both at Gatwick station ticket office.

(You don't get off at East Croydon, but buying the tickets like this is cheaper.)

An Oyster Card cannot be purchased at Gatwick, as it's outside London.

The easiest place to buy it (for later use) would be at West Brompton or Earls Court, but if you are really keen to save pennies you could theoretically alight at East Croydon (rather than Clapham Junction), buy the Oyster Card there (7-day zone 1-2), and then use it to reach West Brompton. This would save £1.50, which very few people would consider worth the effort since you are making an extra stop at East Croydon with luggage etc.

Gatwick Airport could sell you a weekly travelcard on paper, which could potentially save you 50p on getting to West Brompton, but you'll need a photo for that, and Oyster cards are generally better anyway, and unless there are two or more travelling paper cards are not a good choice.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 16:54
london
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

Just to clarify to reach West Brompton from East Croydon with the Oyster card your Oyster Card would need to have an additional small PAYG balance to cover the journey from East Croydon (zone 5) to zone 2, and this would cost £2.10, instead of £3.60 for the paper ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

I live in Earls Court and travel frequently to and from Gatwick (doing so this morning in fact).

Above advice to get a train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction and then change (fyi this also means changing platforms and using a lift/stairs) ro a train to west bromptom is all good advice. As is the idea of a bus.

We never use either though - when we arrive back in Gatwick, we simply get on the gatwick express to London Victoria and then get the tube to earls court (a few stops), or - more usually - get a taxi which costs about £8-£9.

It's more expensive, but if you don't mind paying a few pounds more I'd do what we do - we simply can't be bothered with the hassle of changing trains, or travelling on the easybus (which always seems absolutely packed with people every time I see it)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

I would go with jerrymangu's suggestion of train to Victoria and tube to Earls Court. BUT ... I would not take the Gatwick Express. Too expensive (£18.90) when the equivalent regular Southern services are only 2-8 minutes slower and much cheaper (£13.20)**.

** you can get this fare down to just over £10 with a completely legal ruse known as "split ticketing". Somewhereinlondon can explain it, and I'd do it. But bottom line is you don't need to take the GEX.

london
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

The fare to Victoria is

Gatwick-East Croydon £4.90

East Croydon-Victoria £5.30

So £10.20

A £3 saving, or £8.70 vs. the Gatwick Express above.

I think the change between mainline and tube and Victoria is a bit more complicated than that between train and train and Clapham Junction, but it depends on where you actually want to go to.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

Recently I did this route. I took Southern Train to Victoria and then from Victoria to Earl's Court. The man at ticket counter at Gatwick was helpful. Don't know if it was the carriage I was in for the Southern train but I found it cramped and the table took up to much space. Then a man on the train told me to put my luggage on the table since I was concerned abt the luggage taking up the small aisle space for people needing to walk by.

To get back to Gatwick I took the Gatwick Express from Victoria. There was space at back of carriage to put my luggage and I had a seat with lots of leg room.

7. Re: Gatwick to Earls Court

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:15