We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any good comedy shows?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
any good comedy shows?

ok - i know we have talked about the broadway type shows... what about if i want to go see a comedy show? it could be improv or normal comedy...

i will be there may 20-25

thanks!

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any good comedy shows?

pick up a copy of Time Out comes out at lunchtime on a tuesday in cental london. Very comprehensive listings for what you are after. just looking at this weeks about 25 to 30 venues per night listed with a brief rundown of what type it is so should have something for all tastes.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
324 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any good comedy shows?

Are you talking about a comedy in the theatre or just stand-up?

If it's the latter you are after, the Comedy Club in central London (Piccadilly Circus) does late night stand-up which is of a fairly good standard. Also see the Jonguleurs chain.

www.chortle.co.uk is a good site for this info/ listings

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any good comedy shows?

It's the Comedy Store, not Comedy Club, near Leicester Square. There are a lot of gigs in upstairs rooms at pubs and the like, so chortle.co.uk is a good place to start, as well as Time Out.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any good comedy shows?

The biggest and best comedy by far in London is to watch our Members of Parliament and Ministers in action. Visit a session of Parliament and you'll laugh until you cry!

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any good comedy shows?

Two improv shows I would particularly recommend are the Comedy Store Players at the Regents Park Open Air Theatre on July 23rd...

http://openairtheatre.org/pl8.html

...And the Comedy Store Players at Shakespeare's Globe on August 7th

shakespeares-globe.org/navigation/…

The Comedy Store Players are brilliant anywhere, but there's something magical about seeing them at either of these very special venues - particularly The Globe.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any good comedy shows?

If you go to see stand up, unless you want to get picked on, don't sit right at the front by the stage. Some of the comedy nights turn into cheesy clubs afterwards, which is fun.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
324 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any good comedy shows?

Comedy Club?! I am losing it - cheers TravellerPlus!

Just posting back to say that the Open Air Theatre comedy night sells out really quickly so I suggest booking now (asap) if you want that!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any good comedy shows?

Hey, to anyone that's been to see the Comedy Store Players for their usual Wednesday/Sunday shows...

Is there any sort of dress code at the club? I'd hate to go there and get turned away for wearing sneakers or jeans.

Thx!

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
324 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any good comedy shows?

I've not been myself as the last couple of time I have tried to get in to CS Players, I have failed. But I have heard that the improv stuff is a bit hit and miss. So beware.

There is no strict dress code. Jeans and sneakers is fine. You can probably also show up in flip-flops!

10. Re: any good comedy shows?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 21:19