We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ONE thing to do in London - evening

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
ONE thing to do in London - evening

I have a layover in London on Saturday, Oct. 6. Arrive at Gatwick at 6PM and am flying out of LHR the next morning. Staying at the Tudor Court Hotel near Hyde Park. I have never been to London before. What is ONE thing I could see or do that evening to get some perspective on the city? Additionally, any dinner recommendations in the area?

Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

You could take a guided walk of the city, provided you can make it into London in time and ditch your luggage.

http://www.walks.com/

Some walks start at 6:30 pm, but others start as late as 8:00. The positive about this is there are no reservations, so if you miss it, you aren't out any money.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,171 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

Realistically you won't be in the centre of London and at your Hotel before 8.30pm if you are lucky, so you don't really have time to do much. A walk and some dinner is going to be your main option

You could - take Bakerloo Line tube from Paddington to Picadilly Circus, have a look at that, Trafalgar square, then head into Covent Garden. If you are lucky there will still be some street entertainment going on to keep the area lively. Plenty of Restaurant options there.

You could - Take Bakerloo Line Tube from Paddington to Embankment, cross over the river on the Hungerford Bridge Footways, walk along the South Bank for some great views of the Thames and some Iconic Buildings, should still be reasonably buzzy down there at that point. Plenty of Restaurant Options there.

You could - Take Bus No:159 to Picadilly Circus (do walk suggested above) OR to Trafalgar square and walk down Whitehall to the Houses of Parliament over Westminster Bridge and along the South Bank, OR stay on the bus to County Hall and then walk along the South Bank.....

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

This is the best restaurant in the area.

www.frontlineclub.com/restaurant/

Pub wise this one has decent food.

www.victoriapaddington.co.uk/

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

I would get a map, tube ticket, and do a whistle stop tour, 3 hours and you should be able to see some sights, i.e. buckingham palace, trafalger square, big ben, westminster/london eye, tower bridge/tower of london.

Or how about delay you ongoing flight spend a week here, and inject some foreign cash into our economy....

;)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

Haven't personally done it, but found this on a google search- London by Night

They have departures starting at 7:30 until 10:00, so I think you should be able to make one of the latter ones. Check out their website

www.seelondonbynight.com/index.php/our-tours

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

Unfortunately I have read and heard some fairly negative things about the tour bus at night

I have not done the tour myself.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the sound of strolling the South Bank. And both Frontline and Victoria look like great places to eat. Wish I could stay longer.....

Crawley
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

Arriving LGW at 18.30 you will do well to be booked into your hotel by 2030

You could hop in a taxi and go to via Buckingham Palace, up The Mall, Trafalgar Sq, Whitehall to the Houses of Parliament across Westminster Bridge drop off and walk along the South Bank.

It will be too late for the Eye (closes 2030 in October) and it will probably be 2200 by then, the disadvantage is that a lot of restaurants will be shut.

Although you will always find an Indian Chinese, Greek, Vietnamese depending the part of London you are in open

The alternative is get the cabbie to drop you at the restaurant and forget the walk, I know after a nine hour flight I wouldn't want to do too much.

If you choose this option once the cabbie gets over Westminster Bridge he could take you along the south cross back over Tower Bridge, pass the Tower of London returning via the Monument and St Paul's back to Trafalgar sq and back to your hotel.

Don't know what it would cost in the cab £40 - £50 maybe and you will see a few of the sights

There are a number of changes that can be made to the above outline like returning via Leicester Square and/or Piccadilly Circus, but this will depend upon where you want to eat.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

Thanks Crawley - I won't be traveling from very far away (Italy) and won't have checked bags, so am hoping to escape the airport fairly quickly. I recognize that I won't have time to scratch the surface of the city...just want to be able to say that I visited something!

10. Re: ONE thing to do in London - evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:16