We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a weigh your own shop.

North East
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a weigh your own shop.

Hi all,

Iv lived in London for over a year now.

Up North we had these shops called weigh your own.

Basically had large barrels with cereals, sweets, nut seeds etc all priced and you filled a bag up with the amount you wanted.

Im looking for somewhere like this in London. I live in Chiswick which is W4. I am happy to travel within reason.

Does anyone know of any such place please?

Many Thanks

Vicky

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

Those shops never seem to last long in London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

Try Wholefoods in Kensington

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

There is a shop called Unpackaged in Amwell Street, Clerkenwell that might be the business. It's a bit of a schlep from Chiswick though.

Edited: 24 August 2012, 20:26
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

I've used Unpackaged a number of times. A lovely store, but I wouldn't call it the cheapest out there.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

Ah, "Superscoop" as they used to call them in Manchester (my youth) and Scotland (Wife's youth). I've honestly not seen one in about 20 years, and I've never seen one in London in 9 years now.

As for Wholefoods and Unpackaged, it's ok to talk about these places but they're not the same thing as a superscoop. OP is (I imagine) looking for cheap cornflakes at 46 pence per carrier bag full, not falloul dates at £3:99 per 100 grammes.

North East
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

CanucksTravel is right, we have/had lots of these shops in the north east. They were fantastic for buying nuts, seeds and lentils in bulk for dirt cheap.

I have changed my diet and things esp nuts come in such small bags for the cost.

Thank you for everyone's reply. I think I might just have to buy in bulk whenever I am home.

Cheers

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

" "Superscoop" as they used to call them in Manchester "

Canuckstravel should get a shiver of patriotic pride to learn they were first called Bulk Foods when launched in Loblaws stores around Ontario in late 1981. Then shamelessly copied and relaunched in Stanley, Co Durham, in 1982 as Pack Your Own.

Hugely popular with customers, but never really made money, especially anywhere where rents were high - which is why the UK Pack Your Own operation was euthanised a few years later, and clones like Superscoop generally went out of business. Bulk Foods lived on a lot longer in low-rent Canada, though. I suspect anywhere south of the M62, the "sugar at 20p a pound" model is the fastest possible route to a bankruptcy court.

As you say, though: in the cissy SE, there's a lucrative market in pine nuts for £4.99 an ounce.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

They used to exist further south than the M62, or even the M4: I recall one in Worthing some time ago. However even with my preference for low cost shopping areas, I have not noticed one in London recently. There is a stall in Kingsland Shopping Centre in Dalston that sells unpackaged nuts of varios kinds considerably cheaper than the nearby Sainsburys or Holland & Barratt. From Chiswick, it might be worth checking out Hounslow.

9. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 August 2012, 22:05
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,389 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a weigh your own shop.

Might be best to start a new thread. as no compatibility between the two.