We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

Anyone know the best route to take by public transportation. Are there different rail lines to take there and are some cheaper than others? Is it beneficial to buy the tickets early or do I just buy them the day I'm going?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

Unless you would like to take the Oxford Tube - www.oxfordtube.com - which offers frequent coach services from central London, you'll need to take a First Great Western train from London Paddington.

If you don't want to walk from the hotel to Liverpool Street station, take the 135 towards Crossharbour to that station; from there take a Circle or Hammersmith & City line train towards King's Cross. You may need to change at Edgware Road or, walk a bit at Paddington from the Underground platforms to the mainline concourse.

Check train times and fares and book in advance at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

Thank you TravellerPlus. I don't know how you have time to answer everyones post all the time but I assure you its appreciated.

I checked out the Oxfordtube site and I'm a little confused on where to pick up the bus. Is it on Buckingham Palace Road? I'm assuming I'd get the 16 pound return ticket right? It also looks like it takes an hour and a half. Is that much longer than by train.

I promise thats my last questions.

Thanks

Eric

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

The Oxford tube site has maps of where all its stops are - just pay the driver for a return ticket. You can get on at any of them

Fast trains take about an hour - but then it's a fair hike into town. The Oxford tube stops in town

Megabus also run between London and Oxford - it's essentially the Oxford tube pre-booked and can be very cheap. But you have to use the departures booked and your seat is only guaranteed if you get on at the terminus.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

From Hoxton, it's slightly quicker and easier to get the X90 bus (www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=261), rather than the Oxford Tube.

Fares etc - much the same as the Oxford Tube, as are the stops in Oxford. But the X90's Baker St stop is handier for Old St tube station than the Marble Arch or Notting Hill stops on the Oxford Tube.

5. Re: Travelling from Hoxton Hotel to Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 04:19