We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
EPD
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

Well I have to say we have used this 'company' for 6 years with no problem at all. Admittedly they are just a couple with a large garden and a mini bus and they are a bit rough round the edges but I thought they were ok and extremely cheap......

UNTIL LAST NIGHT

We arrived back on a flight that was over 2 hours late - due in at 11.30pm and actually arrived 01.35am. We were shattered and tired and to cap it all it was a full flight with the worst scrum for boarding ever - guess which airline but we do use them a lot.....? :-)

I had told Lynda at Park Stansted it was a late return and she said it was ok. We just have to ring from Arrivals. (Please note their website says available 24 hours a day, she will be there to fetch whatever time of day or night etc and no mention of telling them if there's a delay.)

We didn't know there was a delay until we were in the rammed 'room' (can't call it a departure lounge at Lamezia, it's a room with a vending machine and a couple of toilets. There's NO public phone and most of us couldn't get a phone signal)

Anyway Lynda has our flight number and will know it's delayed won't she? It's her job fetching people to and from the airport.......

There's nothing in her paperwork about ringing to say if delayed just instructions in capitals to come STRAIGHT AWAY from arrivals after phoning.

Hmmmm

We get off in Arrivals tired and fed up and I ring the number she gave me which I've rung several times over 6 years. No reply. Odd.

I keep trying and my husband and I walk down to the pick up spot. Just no response.

I try another mobile number she has rung me on previously - it cuts off.

Mystified (it is 2am) I look up Park Stansted on my BB and there's a home phone number. 4 times I ring it and each time it is answered and the receiver replaced. Starting to get somewhat annoyed, I then receive a text which tells me that as I hadn't rung to say the flight was late she won't be picking us up until *4.10am* !! I am NOT to ring her as she needs her sleep !!!

I send a text saying this is totally unacceptable and she is to send someone *at once*, she can't leave us at the airport for 2 hours. Another text telling me she is NOT coming as we are thoughtless and irresponsible.

I text back saying we couldn't have rung anyway and why wasn't she checking the flights?

Cue really unpleasant text messages - a flurry of them - (why the heck is she lying awake sending text messages if she needs her sleep??) so I text her and tell her she is in breach of her contract with us and if she doesn't pick us up I will sue her.

My phone rings. The husband - ranting and raving - says he will come and fetch us. I start to say 'thank you' (as you do, being polite) and he shouted 'DON'T THANK ME LADY, JUST DON'T' and hung up. Pleasant man.

We wait at the appointed spot, all the time receiving abusive rude text messages from madam in her bed. Neanderthal husband arrives (it looked like he was in pyjamas) and flung our cases in the van. We got in and we then had the ride from hell in total silence as he flung us around corners and islands back to their house which is quite isolated.

I thoroughly expected her to be there screaming but she wasn't and he passed the keys to my husband again without a word. I must admit I've seen those big dogs (Alsatians) and they are pretty scary and I thought he would have them roaming about. It was pitch dark and we jumped into our car and shot off.

What an APPALLING way to behave - what shocking customer service and complete disinterest what happened to us for 2 hours knowing we had already had a delay.

Why advertise 24 hour service if they can't do it (one of her texts said 'I don't work between midnight and 4' - well ok, but don't advertise a 24 hour service!

Obviously we will NEVER use that service again. We used them in June and a lady waiting with us then was chatting and said that Lynda had upset her dreadfully when she took her car there and how she was the rudest woman she had ever met and would never use them again but I thought maybe she had said something.....obviously not!

We are long standing customers with a 3 hour drive home from there. I am still absolutely stunned at her appalling rudeness and the childish behaviour of the husband.

So if any of you still want to use this parking place - cheap though it is - remember if your plane is late she won't come between 12 and 4 am she says. On your own head be it after our experience. I would have recommended her before this but now I've seen her true way of doing business.

Avoid Park Stansted like the plague.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

If you mean this outfit:

http://www.parkstansted.com/

I don't see anywhere on the website that says they offer a 24hour pick-up service. 24hour 'assistance', yes, but that is not necessarily the same thing.

Do you really want to be collected from the airport by someone who is 'sleep deprived'?? Nice and safe for everyone!

Sounds like a bad breakdown in communications and yes, not the service you thought you were going to get, but IMO for them to advise they needed to sleep in order to be SAFE to collect you is not a bad thing.

You were shattered and tired, were you nice to them on the 'phone or did you scream & rant down the phone at them from the outset??

Sounds to me that you were tired and crotchety, they were also tired and crotchety, not great circumstances for a good interaction from either side of the coin, eh?

EPD
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

No I didn't rant and rave. I didn't speak to them on the phone apart from listening to the husband and all I said was 'thank you' as reported.

If she is running a business as an airport taxi service she has to cover late arrivals - possibly by employing someone.

She has previously said she finds it hard to keep staff (I can see why now)

People arriving late after a long flight already delayed who have PAID to be collected do not deserve to be treated in this way.

I was tired but not 'crotchety' - just bewildered that I expected to be picked up and wasn't.

There has nothing ever been said about unavailability between midnight and 4am and nor about telephoning if delayed (which I couldn't have done anyway)

I don't actually DO rude and abusive. I'm a magistrate.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

fair enough

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

reported O/Ps post as Spam - he has posted 3 times so far

EPD
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

Who is OP ?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

the original poster -you

EPD
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

If you mean me I am a SHE (shows how well you read my post doesn't it?) and yes I have posted it on 3 forum pages where this so called 'business' was to be discussed.

I did this to prevent other people having the upset of being left stranded at the airport when they have PAID to be collected without any mention of informing of delays or of time restrictions.

I am a very reasonable person but I will not tolerate such a flagrant breach of a contract, such disregard for customers and such utter rudeness. It seems from various threads I am not the only person.

I am a regular reviewer on TA and also should add a former travel writer for a newspaper.

The public need protecting from people like this.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

gosh you are important -I had better leave in case its me you shout at

EPD
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

Well maybe you realise now how outrageous it is to charge people money and then not deliver.

The minute I said we would sue for breach of contract they are scurrying out of bed and coming down. Not everyone might think to say that and would have been left for 2 hours in the middle of the night.

I think if you put yourself in our position - after a 2+ hr flight delay as well - you would have been pretty annoyed.

I'm not shouting at anyone either, I am being assertive in warning other people.

Perhaps next time read through the post more carefully before reporting people for spam when it clearly isn't.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,149 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Parkstansted.com - avoid like the plague :-(

Barbexpat, I really don't think it counts as spam if the OP posts on threads relevant to the company concerned. If anyone googles for info it means all the pertinent threads will show up and people can make their own minds.