We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Seattle
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Topic
Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Hello again,

I'm still hammering out a few details for my solo trip Oct 17-30 and once again I'd love your input.

I'm planning to visit Hampton Court Palace on a weekday and afterwards walk a small portion of the Thames Path to Richmond Hill.  I have a spider map of the area and it looks like I can catch a route R68 bus at Hampton Court, get off at Teddington Lock, cross over the bridge, and continue walking to Richmond.  Does this sound like a good plan?  Thanks so much for your help!

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Millennium Bridge
Scenic Walking Areas, Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,621 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Sounds like a good plan.

You just need to be aware that in late October it will be dark in London around 6pm - and from Sunday 28th October when the clocks go back an hour that will advance to 5pm.

Seattle
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Thanks, wirewiper. The end of daylight saving time means one extra hour of vacation :-)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

I walked from Richmond to Twickenham last year and then caught the R68 to Hampton Court; walked back to Twickenham and again caught the bus to Richmond. My vague memory is that the Richmond to Twickenham part was prettier although on a June morning the sun was in my eyes.

The Thames Path from Richmond to Kew is also really nice.

Enjoy your day.

Seattle
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Thanks, vnrose! Kew is a "maybe" on my itinerary but if I do make it out there, I will definitely add the walk between there and Richmond to the outing.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Yes, that route is fine. In fact, there are many routes you can take - some along the river, or through Bushy Park (which is a shortcut, because of the bend in the River Thames).

When you cross over Teddington Lock, you can turn left and walk olong the towpath to Richmond - a very pretty route near Richmond Hill.

Or, you can keep going in the same direction and in about a mile, come to Richmond Park. Enter the park and head left up the hill towards Richmond.

It depends on how much walking you want to do. You might be able to get a boat part of the way, but they might be infrequent at that time of year..

Enjoy.

Seattle
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

Thanks peterscot, I'll see how much energy and daylight I have left there at the end and play it by ear. Very much looking forward to it!

London
Level Contributor
563 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

They may have closed for the season by the time you visit, but look out for the Flying Cloud Cafe as you approach the bridge at Teddington Lock. It's located in a 1950s-style silver Airstream caravan. On a sunny day, it's a nice spot for coffee and cakes.

There are also two pubs - The Anglers and Tide End Cottage.

8. Re: Hampton Court to Richmond Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 10:17