We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in London this October?

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in London this October?

Be having my first trip to London on October 15-28, 2012 ♥ What clothing and shoes do I bring? Thank you so much

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in London this October?

Is this a question related to weather or fashion? What will you be doing while in London?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in London this October?

If it's related to weather:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…43383150

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in London this October?

thanks for the quick reply mr/ms brittraveller. :) clothing and shoes for the weather, please.

it will be work the first week... and leisure for me the second week, i hope.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in London this October?

Unfortunately as explained in the link at #2 the weather in October is very variable, as it is in just about every month here in the UK. Best advice is to wear layers, so that you can adjust as needed, some kind of waterproof coat is a good idea as are shoes rather than sandals ( probably). The other thing that we don't know is how you feel about cold, which may affect why you need to wear.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in London this October?

Comfy shoes. London is great to walk in, and round every corner there's something in the distance that draws you on and on.

Lightweight layers. It could be hot, warm, mild or cold. It could rain. Londoners advise an umbrella. Me, I'm too short for umbrellas, I poke by-passers' eyes out, so I bring a light weight hooded jacket.

If you'll be having meals in a fancy restaurant, something that's not too casual would be good. Same for the theatre - it's not necessary but imho it's nice to make a small effort.

As to fashion - whatever you currently wear at home. I keep reading that Londoners wear only dark and conservative clothes. If this is true (I haven't particularly noticed) it's because on weekdays most Londoners you see are on their way to work.

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in London this October?

tripadvisor.com/members-forums/brittraveller… :)

yeah, that's really my concern :(.... because here in my country we only have two seasons - wet and dry... and sadly, my threshold for cold is rather weak. :( sigh

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in London this October?

By the way, thanks Hooameye and Ailidh :)

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in London this October?

Hi Manang ;-)

I can guarantee you will feel cold. What I learned this summer is the advice about layers is perfect - especially if your outer most layer is waterproof. You'll probably have to order a lightweight jacket on-line (unless you have a seamstress sew something for you). I would skip the skirts if you can and bring dark slacks that can do double duty for work and your second free week. As for shoes - wear anything that you know without a doubt are comfortable for long distances like a broken-in pair of running shoes. Pair that with a bag large enough to hold your work shoes and should be set.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in London this October?

Black is still key in London, at least for work.but often for leisure too.

You can't go wrong with black trousers and a black jacket. A little black dress will cover anything smarter.Black tights are still worn a lot in autumn and winter.

My protection against cold is thin silk long johns and a silk T worn under my clothes.

Patra sells the nicest ones on line, although they don't last for years if you wear them alot.

Ski type underwear not made of silk can feel way too hot when you come inside, but the silk seems to adjust.

I will probably still be wearing sandals in October, even if we don't have the Indian Summer that often comes in September and/or October, but I accept that my footwear can be a bit idiosyncratic,

October can be a lovely time to be in London.

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in London this October?

Thanks Kauai and Leagle :) Those tips would come in handy for me. Be doing some shopping now. God bless all of you

Btw Kauai, are you a Filipina too? You greeted me as "Manang" hehe