We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report! Long and detailed!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report! Long and detailed!

My sister and I (Mid-forties) decided to take a sisters' trip to London, leaving the husbands and children at home. I did most of the planning this time because I've been to London a few times before. We are both TA lovers! My sister had never been overseas so this was her first trip to London/Europe. I was incredibly excited for her to see my favorite city in the world! I love London, can you tell? We had only 5 days/nights. I started my obsessive researching early. We decided to go right after the Olympics, figuring it wouldn't be too crowded then. I booked our flights on Delta, out of NY's JFK, arriving into LHR/London at 8 AM. I also started to look into late summer, "August" specials at many of the hotels. Rates were starting to come down, yeah for us!

I looked into the London Pass and after thorough research, decided against it. It just wasn't going to be used enough for it to have value for us. I decided that we would take advantage of the DaysOut 2 for 1 offers instead.

Before we left, I booked a fair amount of stuff. We decided to stay in Mayfair because I've stayed in this area a few times and know it fairly well. We booked The Chesterfield Mayfair on Charles Street. I did this in two bookings: one was for a "Mayfair Weekend" package that included full breakfast and a complimentary afternoon tea. Then I just added on the other two nights. This was the cheapest way to book these five nights. I booked tickets for the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace on www.royalcollection.org.uk about one month before. (not covered on the London Pass, 2 for 1 not available on this either) The State Rooms are only open for 3 months I believe - July through September. I was excited for this because I had never done this before (and a lot of the other stuff we would be doing would be repetitive for me!) Total charge for Buckingham Palace was £39.70 (£18 each, plus £2.50 booking fee and £1.20 postage and packing) We received the tickets in the mail about two weeks before. We were invited to the Queen's house! And I'm also excited typing this because I just learned how to get the British pound sign to come up on my keyboard, instead of saying GBP....!

I also sent a request a few months before for tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. This was another thing that I hadn't gone to yet. I will continue later, got to go right now......

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

Thanks for adding the last bit to your report ... you've definitely given me some idea for our return trip neaxt year.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,950 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

What a wonderful trip............thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Southwest Norway
Level Contributor
216 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

Enjoyed reading your report. Thank you for sharing!

"We saw a beautiful statue there - one piece of marble of a woman who died in childbirth, curtains of marble behind her. It rivals the Pieta in Rome!"

This is the memorial of Princess Charlotte, who died in childbirth in 1817.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Charlotte_of_Wa…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

I was travelling myself when you first started writing your report. I am glad you came back to finish it as I would not have seen it otherwise. :-)

Your trip sounds great. I hope your sister enjoyed herself. Who knows? Perhaps you should start a sisterly tradition of trips to London.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I can't start my Christmas cookie baking until I clear up the travel stuff that I had left around!

Norguy: thanks for the details on the statue! I'm going to look up your tag!

Mez3000: who knows? Both of us love to travel, maybe a yearly trip? Or every few years?

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

Yay you put up the last part, loved reading it, felt a bit exhausted on your behalf, or maybe thats more me reminding myself of the way I felt during my October trip.

Glad you and your sister had such a nice time, and now you need to go back for the things you didnt get to do!

btw My friend and I loved our tea at the Chesterfield Hotel, and I have to say I loved the staff. we went to the Savoy and for me it felt mostly about the hotel, but at the Chesterfield it was more about us. Felt fussed about, in a very nice way, and with a genuine smile

Edited: 07 December 2012, 21:01
37. Re: Trip Report! Long and detailed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:18