We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Topic
Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

We're visiting London for 7 days and will be walking all over the city and even though we don't drink often....we like the idea of sitting down in an old pub and drinking some beers with the locals. I'm looking for pubs with some history. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

There are a number of pubs with character in central London. The Cittie of York, Ye Old Mitre, the Seven Stars, the Black Friar, the French House, Jerusalem Tavern, the Lamb (Lamb's Conduit Street), and the Victoria (near Paddington) are a handful that come to mind as amenable places for a pint.

Have a look at four and five pint rated pubs at www.fancyapint.com No doubt other TALFers will be along to give more suggestions as well.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

I'm not really sure that I'd call these sort of places "cool" (it's that "separated by a common language thing" again) but this question comes up quite often, so start here :

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k543…

Whether you'll find many "locals" is a moot point - YOCC is popular with people who work locally, The Seven Stars with lawyers etc - remember that you're in Central London,

Have fun !

Mike

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

Just as a matter of interest, 'a brew' in the UK usually refers to TEA! If you asked someone where you could get a good brew you might be directed to a patisserie . . .

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

"Historic" and "cool" are different, but for the latter you should try the Euston Tap (ET) outside Euston train station, because it's so cool you could go skating on it.

It used to be one of the gatehouses to the historic and huge Euston Arch leading into the station. When the arch was demolished it became a club for gay women, and the female owner says that they used to get women walking in and then looking confused. Nowadays, it has beers from around the country that you won't find anywhere else in London and has a mix of regular customers and Brits waiting for the next train who will talk to you about their own part of the country. And it's still new enough that Rick Steves doesn't know about it, so it isn't in any American or other guide books.

Also, the gatehouse directly opposite has also been bought by the owners and sells British ciders and perries (apple and pear alcoholic drinks). I'd always recommend starting with a perry, because they have delicate flavours that you wouldn't notice if you began with a more strongly flavoured drink.

http://www.eustontap.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

I also enjoy pubs with some history. FWIW, here are a few of my personal favorites (most of which I've been introduced to by wonderful TALF friends!):

Cittie of York

Princess Louise

Ye Olde Mitre

The Market Porter (at Borough Market)

The Ship Tavern (Holborn)

Jerusalem Tavern

Old Doctor Butler's Head

Rose and Crown (Mayfair)

I also second Glyn's recommendation for Euston Tap, and its sibling The Cider Tap.

You can find information on all of these pubs, and a lot more, at www.fancyapint.com. I like that site because you can search a number of ways, including by location or by Tube stop. Very useful.

There are lots more, of course

Edited: 07 September 2012, 14:39
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

Oops, I must not be awake, and my edit time has expired. I didn't mean Rose and Crown in Mayfair (haven't been there): I meant The Red Lion, in Crown Passage in St. James! Sorry about that.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 14:43
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

Cool thread with great suggestions.....keep 'em coming!

London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

The George Inn in Southwark / Borough is the only remaining galleried coaching inn in London - and worth a visit - see: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/george-inn/

For a list of other pubs with some interesting history - see: londonunveiled.com/category/pubs-of-interest/

which includes info on the 'literary' pub - the Fitzroy; the 'birth of football' at the Freemasons; and the first Irish pub, the Tipperary.

Enjoy!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

Thank you for all the replies and tips. Can't wait to visit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for cool pubs to grab a brew

pubs.com/main_site/…historic_london_pubs.php