We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation -Croydon flatVs Central LondonB&B

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
accommodation -Croydon flatVs Central LondonB&B

I will visit London in May-June 2013.My purpose is to visit some of the places I can do as day trips from London like Canterbury &Hastings and also to cover some of yhe more distant places like thr Lake District,Lindesfarne etc.

A friend has a flat in Croydon which he has kindly offered for my use.I have to choose between the flat &a B & B in central London. Which will be more covenient?

I am from India,male,65 years and hope to stay for 10-20 days on the whole.Thanks

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Hastings
Hastings
East Sussex, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Croydon
Croydon
Greater London, UK
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation -Croydon flatVs Central LondonB&B

if you are going to want to go out and about locally in the evening and enjoy some local sites then i would suggest center London over Croydon!

How are you planning on getting to these place? if it by hiring a car then Croydon is the better bet, if public transport then i would suggest London and being more central.

If you are here for a sensible length of time have you not thought about the possibility of doing both?

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Croydon
Croydon
Greater London, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation -Croydon flatVs Central LondonB&B

Is the flat in Croydon going to be very cheap or free? If so, then I'd pick the flat like a shot. In general Croydon has excellent transport links to Central London, which is why so many commuters live there. But Croydon is a big place, so you need to check where the flat is in relation to transport. But as an example, fast trains from East Croydon station get to London Bridge or Victoria in 15-20 minutes. The London Overground service from West Croydon is slower, but connects with the Jubilee Line. Travelling further north in the UK will be slightly less convenient as you'll have to cross the centre of town to get to Euston or Kings X for trains to the north, but that's not a difficult journey by any means.

So it really depends on how much money you'll save by picking the flat over lodgings in the centre of town. And whether that saving is worth the extra travel time, and small additional travel cost of being in zone 5 rather than zone 1/2.

Mentioned in this post
Croydon
Croydon
Greater London, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
288 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
261 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation -Croydon flatVs Central LondonB&B

Just like to point out that it is possible to travel directly to Kings Cross from East Croydon as there are frequent trains to St Pancras International from there and Kings Cross is actually adjacent to St Pancras with Euston just a five minute walk away.

Mentioned in this post
Croydon
Croydon
Greater London, UK
4. Re: accommodation -Croydon flatVs Central LondonB&B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 10:16