We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Special Exhibitions

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Museum Special Exhibitions

Hello. We will be visiting in November and are trying to find out which Museums may have special exhibitions on at that time.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Vigo, Spain
Level Contributor
12,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

I usually find (before travelling to London or when I am there) this kind of information in www.timeout.com/london/.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 15:46
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

Also if you look at the internetsite of the museum you will find all the info

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

For instance, the National Gallery has a Pre-Raphaelite show.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/shake…

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

>>For instance, the National Gallery has a Pre-Raphaelite show.<<

Are you sure you don't mean Tate Britain?

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on

Edited: 10 September 2012, 19:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

Most museums have rotating exhibits for part of the facility at all times - so rather than focusing on specific special exhibits, I would think about what you'd really love to see - art, history, people... Regardless of how much museum going you've done in London, chances are you've barely scratched the surface of what london offers. There are some excellent lesser visited places that are much more intimate than the big museums and I few I strongly recommend.

While the Tate Modern is excellent - if you want an alternative consider Saatchi http://wp.me/p2r6no-9N - Instead of the British Museum's Egyptian collection, consider the Petrie - http://wp.me/p2r6no-1I - and then there are smaller gems like the Dennis Sever's House - http://wp.me/p2r6no-26 .

For the major galleries / museums and their exhibits, I echo prior TA postings that TimeOut London is useful.

Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

The Shakespeare exhibit at the British Museum was good. Not convinced it's worth the price of it, but if you like Shakespeare as I do, it's good. The free horse exhibit was great.

Other things to consider... you just have to keep your eyes open, or as others suggest, search what you're interested in. The National Theatre has (had) great exhibits on Timon of Athens and Warhorse. Combine that with a backstage tour, and I'm in heaven.

But, it's what you're into...

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

Apart possibly from the Pre-Raphaelites at Tate Modern (and maybe bits of the London Design Festival), this autumn seems to be more devoid of the mega block-busters that sell out the moment tickets go on sale than I've known it for years. But it's a great one for low budget quirkiness, like street furniture (or "Bronze") at the Royal Academy.

The Liverpool Biennale is probably the other biggie. Otherwise, the good news is you can take your time choosing, and then use Time Out. The website isn't that good for advance details if you're trying to plan your time a month or two before coming here. Use it (at the "museums" and "Art" pages, remembering that in English we don't use the word "museum" to describe an art gallery) for full lists of locations, then browse the locations' websites. The hard copy, when you get here or at some major intercontinental airports abroad, gives fully comprehensive listings for the following week

Also check art fairs at visitlondon.com/events/…london-art-fairs-2012

London, England
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

As albionbythesea has already mentioned, try out some of the lesser visited museums. I love Leighton House at Holland Park, John Soane in Lincoln's Inn, Wallace Collection, Dulwich Gallery, the recently refurbished William Morris House at Walthamstow. The list is endless, so do some research beforehand so you decide what you would really like to see.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,498 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum Special Exhibitions

The James Bond exhibition at the Barbican as very enjoyable.