We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

I must admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the things to do in London, and even with 10.5 days we can't see all we want. My partner wants to see both Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace, insisted on the London Pass for 6 days, booked 4 evening plays, and is saying that we need to attempt getting same-day tickets from the National Theatre for another play which is sold out. I'm already exhausted looking at our schedule, though I had originally wanted to take a day trip to Bath as part of our holiday.

Because we're already spending significant time traveling to places outside of central London and our schedule is so full, I'm wondering if I should just drop the day trip to Bath. If we went, it would have to be the day after arriving in London or the day before returning home since other days either have theatre in the evenings or are London Pass days. To go to Bath, or not?

As an aside and advice to other travelers: I would choose the 2-4-1 offers over the London Pass if you have the choice. While the 6-day London Pass is OK value for money, it makes scheduling very difficult since you'll try to schedule only paid activities on the London Pass usage days to get the most for your money. Scheduling this way is awkward since often there are both free and paid activities in the same area, so your schedule may jump around and not make sense in terms of geography when you group the prepaid activities together. You'll probably also act like you're at an all-you-can-eat buffet and try to eat (do) too much. I regret getting bullied into using that option instead of the 2-4-1 offers which seems much more sane.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

As they day in some other forums, you have a partner problem, not a [travel] problem.

Unfortunately we can probably only help with the travel part - though do try to make sure you have custody of your travel info, passport, and credit card Just In Case.

Windsor Castle and Hampton Court are both good places to visit and not too far but many people would only choose one per trip.

Bath would make a lovely trip but possibly better with an overnight stay. Are you going by train or could you rent a car?

Sorry cant see your original post when replying from my phone, but the itinerary looks both gruelling and unfocused. If its a show a night - perfectly reasonable approach to London - them you would need afternoon time to rest and clear your head.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

Definitely go to Bath for the day. 10 days in London are too much in my opinion, and you'd need a change to see something a bit more typically English. Perhaps there's something on at the Theatre Royal in Bath that he would like to see

http://www.theatreroyal.org.uk/

The Bath Forum can help you decide on this, but you definitely should get out of London and go somewhere else during your 10-day visit.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

That's a shame - (and you've highlighted my main beef with the LP; it's inflexibility).

Anyway, fwiw I would try and get to Bath if you can - it's an easy journey by train; a bit different to London, although a word of warning, there's a lot to do there as well, so a day is just the tip of another iceberg.

And if it's any consolation, London (and other parts of the UK) can take a good deal more than 10 days anyway, as many posters have found to their cost. My suggestion would be to leave something to do for a future trip - for good luck if nothing else!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

Thanks for the advice. I was venting my frustrations a bit after being put in charge of all the scheduling details while my partner keeps giving me directives about things we must include without much understanding of how impossible our schedule will be if we include everything he wants.

I wanted to go to Bath and it sounds like it will be a nice break from London, so it's going into the schedule. ;-) We'd be going by train. I was thinking a day trip, but an overnight stay could be possible. He'll have to give up some things and prioritize what he really wants some more.

I think I will also get us 7-day paper travelcards to use the 2-4-1 offers three or four days in to our stay. While there is a lot of overlap with the London Pass it will make our schedule more flexible so I don't have to plan everything around about what is "free" on the London pass on a certain day. I should be able to plan more by geography instead of everything around the pass that way.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

If you cant fit Bath in without it being a hassle then drop it, simple.

If you have already got plenty to see and do in London why give yourself the extra hassle and travel, after all it is supposed to be a holiday, not a race round the UK to see as much as you can.

You cant fit York in, or Edinburgh in, or Chester in, or Oxford in, or Cambridge in, and they are all worth visting.

So just forget Bath and have a more relaxing time in London, and save Bath for next time.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

If you do go to Bath (and you might want to visit the Bath forum), best train prices are 'Advance' tickets from the operator First Great Western, which do tie you to a specific train time. Off peak are more flexible so you might want to price up but if you overnight there it should not be a problem to get decent price tickets.

Also you can do organised half day tours from Bath, if that's your thing, with companies like Mad Max tours. Alternatively you could hire a car and tootle about the countryside from there.

With 10 days it really would be a pity to restrict yourself to London, even though there is so much to do there, when there are many places you can visit for a day or two so easily. If you were trying to do so within a 4 or 5 day trip as so many do, it would be a different matter, but that is not the case, fortunately.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,509 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

I think you could easily fill 10 days in London, especially since you are already going to Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle. However, I agree that Bath would fit in without too much difficulty. I personally would purchase advance tickets as IIRC there was a substantial difference in price when I checked before. I don't think either your first day or your last day is ideal as you may need to leave early and/or come back late, but that is up to you, of course.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

Hi

Of course I am going to say "come to Bath"! It is about 90 minutes from Paddington station (so about 2-2 1/2 hours door to door if you are staying somewhere central). The bits of Bath that tourists gravitate to tend to be within 5-15 minutes' walk up from the train station.

You will know how enjoyable it would be to inflict a 4-5hour round trip on a possibly reluctant partner. Have a think about what you both enjoy and the Bath forum will try to help you figure out how to achieve this. There's more to Bath than Georgian Crescents and Hot Springs.

You might get some ideas from www.visitbath.co.uk

Worst case scenario, it might be cold and wet, but don't let that put you off!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

I'm planning it for the Tuesday about a week into our stay, so it will give us a little break from London in the middle. I think I can convince him by mentioning he could look at things to do that evening (especially the theatre idea). ;-) Not trying to plan around the London Pass activities makes that possible.

We have a flat we're renting in London, but we can get a hotel for the evening in Bath since the flat was a reasonable price and staying over seems nicer than trying to rush back to London in the evening.

Thanks for the tips about booking train tickets ahead. I'll look at the prices and also some things to do in the Bath forum.

10. Re: Day trip to Bath in 10 day stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:17