We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

I loved Hampstead Heath with its hills. Going up and down Parliament Hill was really healthy.

I have done the same in Greenwich and some other hills within the M25 of London.

However, wanted to ask if you have any suggestions for such places a bit further away, so I can also visit other cities/towns at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Note: Really, really sorry if I ask questions which seem repetitive. I am new to London and have lots of free time outside studies & work. I really like traveling and discovering new places, and at the same time doing other things as well. Basically, sometimes I travel just for peace and quiet after work (5-6 PM), other times, to study, and other times also for historical pilgrimage.

I am not rich, but I spend my money on almost nothing else but traveling.

P.S.: I wonder whether there are any traveling clubs/ walking clubs that organize daily trips?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

No mountains I'm afraid. Try the South Downs Way.

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

Been there already :)

P.S.: I am really keen on exploring some new region each time I travel.

This is where I have already been to so far (outside London):

Birmingham, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford, Eastbourne (Seven Sisters, South Downs), Farnborough, Portsmouth, Isle of Wight, Southend on Sea (and walked around nearby towns), Rochester, Higham, Gravesend.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 12:48
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

Try the Surrey Hills

surreyhills.org/surrey-hills-explore/walking/

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

Hannah, I don't think people mind the repetition, just that there are only so many places to recommend and (as above) you will just get them repeated.

Have you really walked the whole of the South Downs Way?

For something more urban, how about Harrow Hill, or Horsenden Hill?

Have you looked at The Ramblers Association?

www.ramblers.org.uk

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

Well, not the whole South Downs Way, just the Eastbourne part.

I could visit a city before Winchester and travel to Winchester maybe?

I haven't considered doing an entire National Trail... mainly because, as I said, even though I travel a lot, my limit is that I can either do it only right after work (free time from 5PM till midnight) or on weekends, and even on weekends I need to be home at night to do some of my work-related stuff.

Ideally, i would like to see something new each time... so traveling to the same National Trail from London every day sounds... hmmm... not worth the money?. But then again, I haven't tried it yet. So I might try.

I will check the Ramblers.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 12:59
london
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

If you have, or can buy, a bicycle, then there are various hills that will provide a challenge.

Have a look at Newlands Corner for walking.

London
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

Leith Hill and Box Hill are two of the highest points on the North Downs, and are very popular places for walking at the weekend;

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/leith-hill/

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/box-hill/

You will have to travel some way out of London to find anything that could remotely be described as a mountain, I'm afraid. Certainly not on a day trip.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,617 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

In case I have not posted this for you before, Hannah, but somewhere in your many threads I think I may have, have a look here:

http://www.walklondon.org.uk/walk_finder.asp

The Green Chain, The Capital Ring, The Loop and The Lea Valley Walk, all should suit you.

Nights will be drawing in soon, already where I live at around 7pm it is getting 'dusky' and pretty well dark by 8pm. I doubt you will manage many more 'afer work' Country Walks. Even the Central London Parks all close at dusk.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

I've never tried it ((I live surrounded by hills) , but the Saturday Walkers Club often crops up with questions like yours (http://www.walkingclub.org.uk/)

Though the site's mainly concerned with getting trains out of London on Saturday mornings (even in midwinter, a satisfying walk is possible travelling out by train, there's so much walkable countryside within 90 mins of London), it contains a wealth of resources on all kinds of outdoor activity - including real hills.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nature's gyms in South England (hills, slopes, mountains)

The High Weald Landscape Trail is - IMHO - just as scenic as The South Downs Way, but is invariably overlooked because of its location in less-fashionable, wealden Sussex. It starts (rather incongrously) at Horsham station and ends at the beautiful town of Rye. An up and down trail through quiet countryside and small villages.

highweald.org/explore/walking-and-cycling/lo…

Maybe - like we did - you could walk it in stages at weekends ?

Mike

Edited: 11 September 2012, 14:05