We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card with a chip a must?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card with a chip a must?

Hi,

Have been reading that our behind the times magnetic stripe credit cards are frequently not accepted in London. Is this the case and, if so, is there a workaround? I leave on 9/24 so don't have enough time to apply and get one of the few US companies chip & signature credit cards.

Thanks,

Janet

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card with a chip a must?

I didn't have any probs in July.

I took a Delta AmEx, and two VISAs. I rarely use cash.

In a charity shop (thrift shop) one worker had to show the other one how to swipe "American cards" and they asked for ID but they do that at my local Goodwill.

In the stations I had to go a human instead of using the machines, but I understand there are some machines in some stations that can take swipe-only.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card with a chip a must?

Some merchants may ask you to place your card in the chip reader in order to trigger the system to create a chit to be signed. Others will simply swipe your card because they will see that the card has no chip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card with a chip a must?

Thanks so much...one less thing to think about!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card with a chip a must?

Hi,

There are some special debit cards that over-ride the pin system so cards requiring signature are still legally accepted as otherwise under uk law it could be classed as discrimination especially for the disabled community so basically you will be fine, although I believe American Express are starting to roll out cards with chips from what I've seen on tv adverts over here.

5. Re: Credit card with a chip a must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 10:16