I read through your "Do's and Don'ts" re: flat rentals above.
I've been trying to keep up with the posts in this forum. I so far haven't seen my questions below previously discussed.
I have just initialized communication to an apartment owner through homestay.com for a place in London near Regent's Park tube next spring to see if the dates would still be available at the rate listed on their property description listing. If they reply that the location is available, these are the questions I'd like to ask when I phone them.
BTW, it is a separate living area with a door inside a home where the owners are on the premises, but it is in a private area with a private facility in a basement space. I am traveling on my own. this is their review page. homeaway.com/vacation-rental/reviews/p417564
I don't expect maid service; I've stayed one other time in a rented apartment while in Prague. I basically saw the owner once and expect to see these owners during my stay because it sounds like the live on the premises. I'll ask the above questions you provided in your topic on "Do's and Don'ts" when I talk with them.
Are these reasonable questions and would the owner feel insulted in being asked:
1. Which room of the main house is directly above or next door to the basement bedroom?
-Just wondering if it is a common area room like a kitchen or a bedroom due to concern over being awoken too early in the day such as before 9AM.
2. Is there a water heater or appliance that makes any sounds in that part of the flat that I'd live in?
3. Is there a construction boom in the area and should I be prepared for building or demolishing; re-paving in the immediate area?
4. Will you still have belongings in any part of the area where I'll be staying?
5. Are supplies like toilet paper provided for the entire duration of my stay?
6. Is there mold or mildew present and causing any odors?
7. Is this area heated and will I be able to control the temperature? What shall I do if it is too hot or too cold in this part I'm staying in?
What are other questions I should ask for this location not detailed in the property details and payment area (given that they provide a straightforward rental agreement)? Also, is it typical that they want the final payment of the rent 8 weeks prior to arrival?