We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

Hey,

I will be in london during the christmas season, and wanted to go watch Man Utd at the Old Trafford on the 26th of December (Boxing day).

I will be staying next to the marble arch station.

Any idea on the stations being open that day? and is it safe to book online or from the station itself for the trip.

Also, i was wondering how long is the trip from marble arch to manchester? and what is latest train time back from manchester to marble arch.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

No idea this year -but last year there were no trains on this route on Boxing Day

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

If it's an evening fixture you may be able to do it by National Express bus who are running a limited service that day

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

It's a 3pm fixture so thats out and getting back same day would be impossible also but there's a coach that leaves at 1130pm and drives through the night getting back at 6am on 27th.

This is aside the issue of getting tickets, unless you pay for hospitality tickets at (I guess) £200 each I'd expect this game to sell out to season ticket holders with few or none left for ordinary members.

You should either rent a car (from 24th) and drive it or stay up there to start with.

Don't book any transport or hotels until you have a match ticket.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 10:45
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

In addition to this I'm not sure the TV matches for December have been selected yet (they certainly have up to the end of November).

This means that the kick off time may be altered depending on whether Sky TV or ESPN cover the game.

26th December is probably the worst day of the year (apart from 25th) to get public transport anywhere and unless you rent a car I'd give his one up.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

from what ive heard is that there are a limited service trains on the day? how would i know what is the best solution?

regarding tickets, im already covered in that area. my main concern is getting there and back.

appreaciate your feedback

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

From what ive heard is that there are a limited service trains on the day? how would i know what is the best solution?

======

You'll to wait about 3 weeks for xmas timetables to be announced, but as said, judging by last year there will be no trains at all.

And National Express coaches seem to be ruled out.

An alternative to renting a car (for about 4 days due to the holidays) would be to go on a fan website and see if you can car share with other Man U fans also driving up to the game from London, and help with the petrol costs.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 11:55
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

Good shout re car share. Another option is to fly but you will need an overnight stay on 26th.

Logistically you will need to get to LHR on Boxing day morning. Flights on BA to MAN leave at 7.10, 7.50, 8.55, 11.10,12.00 and 13.10. The latter 3 of these should only be taken if the kick off time changes to an evening.

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

Like others have said, Can't really say anything regarding the train or Underground timetable until closer the time . HOWEVER

I'm thinking if you can get a train from Euston station to Manchester Picadilly, (not sure how far from Old trafford that is to be honest).

Typical days, trains run every 20 minutes & getting to euston station can be via Underground Tube/Bus.

30 minutes by bus & 10minutes by tube.

Train time is usually 2hours 12minutes operated by virgin trains.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

so basically what im getting is that trains dont run on boxing day from london to manchester at all. my only bet is to wait 90 days before travel date to check? i dont mind taking the Euston station if that would be running on boxing day. isnt there anywhere i can get a definate answer?

also, game timings wont be confirmed until 3 weeks from now?

car rental cant be done for 1 day?

best bet is to take a flight?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,528 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marble Arch to Manchester on Boxing Day

I think what people are saying is that your best option is to go to Manchester on Christmas Eve and return to London on the 27th.