We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtright fridig

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
367 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Downtright fridig

Been checking the weather reports for my trip next week and shows high's roughly around 16 degrees C (60 F) and lows around 6 degrees C (40 F). Londoners may be more acclimated to the cold than I, being from New Orleans, but is it safe to say the weather has turned from moderate to chilly? I planned on packing thin layers, but it looks more like I'll be packing scarves and jumpers.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$142.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$146.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
623 reviews
from US$99.20*
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
367 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtright fridig

And yes ... my apologies .. the subject should read "frigid" not "fridig"!!! Can't edit a subject line in TA once it's been posted. Argh!!!!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtright fridig

Nothing out of the ordinary at all - it's the coming of the British autumn and cool weather can be expected at times. I'm not sure you will need scarves - I rarely wear them myself, but some warm clothing is essential. Remmeber though that British weather is very variable from year to year and quite unpredictable more than a few days ahead.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtright fridig

Thin layers AND scarves and jumpers could be the order of the day. It could be 23C one day and 14C the next here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtright fridig

I wouldn't call day time temps of 16c chilly. I'd be more concerned about rain. Do you plan to be indoors or outdoors mostly?

Layers is the secret to enjoying London. And don't go packing bulky scarves and floves - *if* you need them they're cheap here.

london
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtright fridig

I thought you'd gone poetic

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtright fridig

High today was forecast at 18 c and we have been barbecuing. Remember the lowest temperature is likely to be in the middle of the night when you are tucked up in bed.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtright fridig

No wool hats - gloves or scarves needed yet !

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtright fridig

Lovely Autumn day today....just a thin jacket at most would do

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
367 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtright fridig

Lots of sightseeing planned, so naturally both indoor and outdoor activities in store. I don't want to over pack with bulky items, and I certainly don't want to go from outdoor to indoor and be sweating! I will be armed for rain with pocket-umbrella in tow.

Daytime temps of 16 C will be a welcome departure from the 30 C temps I'm in now. It's more the evening's I'm concerned with. Guess I'll stick with layers for day and jumpers for night. And of course, I'll be sure to recheck the night before I leave. Thanks for the input everyone!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtright fridig

I suppose it depends a lot on what you are used to.

It's 18'c outside today - and pleasantly sunny, I am in a short sleeved shirt but may put a sweater on later if I go for a walk, layers definitely. tee shirts, over shirts and one warm sweater, definitely a waterproof top layer but no hat or gloves until November.