We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Norway
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Hi,

We'll be staying in Bloomsbury again soon, and would like to have dinner at both a Turkish and an Italian restaurant within walking distance (i.e. no farther away than Holborn, Euston, or King's Cross). Tas Bloomsbury has been recommended to me before - and we've enjoyed a very good dinner at Tas The Cut - but I see there's a new Turkish one called Antalya that gets good reviews. Any comments on the two?

As for Italian restaurants, the Old Amalfi has also been recommended, but there are so many others that get mostly good reviews: Ciao Bella, l'Osteria 57, Bacco, Isolabella, Casa Mamma, Cosmoba, Il Fornello, and Trattoria Verde. We're finding it really hard to pick one of these. We would prefer a place that serves something a bit special, and are willing to pay a little more than "normal". Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

Edited: 16 September 2012, 17:05
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Go to toptable.co.uk and search for restaurants by putting in your postcode/area, the type of cuisine you want, and then view the results sorted by review score, or price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

For Italian I'd recommend Locanda Locatelli. The menu is surprisingly not too expensive http://www.locandalocatelli.com/

For Turkish, I believe Sofra is pretty popular, they have various locations (personally I'd go to the one at St Christopher's Place) http://www.sofra.co.uk/

There is a Lebanese retaurant on Piccadilly called Kakhreldine which is not exactly Turkish but I thought you may be interested in. http://www.fakhreldine.co.uk/

Edited: 16 September 2012, 18:31
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

With Italian restaurants Cosmoba is excellent.

Went there a couple of months ago and loved it!

Norway
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Thank you for your reply, Bev - now I can start narrowing down my list! Old Amalfi also sounds tempting, but I can't seem to find a website with a menu.

Sometimes I wonder if all of the review sites just make deciding where to dine too difficult ... I compiled my list from sites such as TA, Toptable, London-Eating, Yelp, etc. In the old days, I just relied on guide books and took a look at the menus displayed at neighborhood restaurants with guests who looked like they were enjoying their food. And now - despite choosing restaurants with good reviews - I get disappointed on occasion.

MMS8282: Thank you for your recommendations, but we really would like to dine near our apartment in Bloomsbury at least a couple of evenings. Other evenings we'll be eating in Bayswater, Shoreditch, and Covent Garden for various reasons, and as we'll be out and about a lot in the daytime, it's nice to not have to go too far for dinner. I ate at the Sofra in Covent Garden some years ago - good food but terrible service, and also at Fakhreldine. The food there was good as well, if a little expensive, but the restaurant is a bit too formal to my liking.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

I too had a poor experience of Sofra, at St Christopher's Place. Tas near the British Museum (or any of their branches) continues to be my favourite destination for Turkish food.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Trust me and try it.

Then tell me I am wrong!:-)

Don't think so!

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

any good italian near the National Gal? Thanks

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,987 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Il Fornello is arguably the best of the Italian restaurants in that area although I have good things of the place next to The Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street. I really ought to try one time before a pub meet.

Norway
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

Thanks for your input, adam. So now I have three recommendations for Italian restaurants, all of them on or off Southampton Row! I guess we'll just have to check out the menus online and/or take a walk down the street and pick one out.

As for Turkish restaurants, it's probably best to stick with Tas, especially as we know the Southbank branch is good.

10. Re: Having a hard time choosing restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:16