We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
339 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

Much thanks to everyone for all your help. After two long years of anticipation, our London adventure is merely 24 hours away. I've put together our itinerary for your dissection. Post to follow shortly.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
339 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

Saturday

- Double Decker Bus Tour

- River Cruise

- London Eye

Sunday

- Buckingham Palace (5 hours)

- Westminster Sightseeing (Horse Guards, 10 Downing, Trafalgar, Parks, etc.)

- TALF Pub Meet at The Lamb (YAY!!)

- Ceremony of the Keys

Monday

- St Paul's Cathedral (3 hours)

- Tower of London (4 hours)

- City Sightseeing (Temple Bar, Monument, Gerkhin, Tower Bridge, etc.)

- Evening in Soho (Check TKTS for theatre tickets)

Tuesday

- Day trip to Windsor Castle (7 hours ???)

- Evening in Knightsbridge (Harrod's, Harvey Nicks, etc.)

Wednesday

- Warner Bros Studio Tour at 10:30 am (4-5 hours??/)

- Evening open - Ideas?

Thursday

- Westminster Abbey (3 hrs)

- Sightseeing in Kensington & Knightsbridge (V&A Museum, Hyde Park)

- 7:30 pm - Southbank Centre for J.K. Rowling Book Reading (WOW!!!)

Friday

- AM Sightseeing of Southbank

- 12:00 - 3:00 pm - Lunch at Electroluxe Cube at Royal Festival Hall

- Afternoon open - ideas?

- 7:30 pm - Our Boys at Duchess Theatre

As you can see, a few gaps can be filled. Would love any feedback.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,526 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

Seeing the Castle in Windsor should take about 3 hours. I don't know if you are including all your transportation time, to and fro, or a long lunch

And then there is always this to do in Windsor.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167859/Winds…

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

From my experience getting to Tower of London first thing in the morning when it opens makes it so much more enjoyable than getting there midday with the rest of the tourists. Have a great trip...sounds like a great itinerary. :D

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

Sounds like a lovely agenda, I wish you a great time!

In my experience, the Southbank has so much going on "spur of the moment", that it shouldn't be difficult to fill your Friday, especially if the weatheris nice. For excellent food, you can explore Borough market or Real Food Market (south of the Royal Festival Hall)( see our recent report: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k5765273-o10-Weekend_Trip_Report-London_England.html)

Many place like The National Theatre, royal Festival Hall, the Tate, or even the new City Hall house free exhibitions .You can just walk in and check if there's anything you fancy. Or you can try to pick up tickets for an evening show: many little performance spaces around...

Enjoy!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

For the V&A you might consider joining one of their free guided tours (vam.ac.uk/whatson/…). I've probably been a dozen times in the past few years and always had an excellent experience.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

This weekend is the annual "London Open House Weekend" with lots of buildings being opened for free that are normally closed to the public or normally charge admission. Try and get a free booklet about it from one of the tourist offices.

For example, there's free admission to the Jewel Tower, which jdbri (message 5) recently reviewed elsewhere and Westminster Hall, where the Queen Mother lay in state before her funeral.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
339 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

LauraRM - I may be overestimating my time at Windsor for sure. Would love to do the Conquer the Tower and Kitchen Tours. I was including all travel time as well, so maybe closer to 5 hours. How long is the train to Winsdor?

nursingchick - My thoughts were the same about TOL, but I also want to jump ahead of the lines at St. Pauls for a more "serene" experience. Thankfully, St. Pauls opens at 8:30 am whereas the tower does not open until 10. That give us at least 2 hrs at St. Paul's before getting to the Tower at 10:30, but 3 hours would put us there at 11:30. Maybe a bit too late to beat the rush. Is 2 hours long enough, or would we be rushed?

Glyn1 - Would love to HO the bus tour and see a few Open House sites. Great idea! I'm also keeping ym eyes peeled hordes of apes roaming the streets during the Great Gorilla Run!!!

Question - Could we fit in a couple hours at the British Museum Friday after lunch? We'd only have time for 2 1/2 hours at most. What about after our return on Wednesday?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

> Question - Could we fit in a couple hours at the British Museum Friday after lunch?

Yes. The website has some resources for just such visits e.g.1 hour at the British Museum (britishmuseum.org/visiting/planning_your_vis…). Or consider a free eyeOpener gallery tour (britishmuseum.org/visiting/planning_your_vis…).

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
339 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

You're fabulous, jdbri! I knew I had heard doing an abbreviated BM tour was possible. And you can always be counted on to provide web links - I know they'll come in very handy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Final Itinerary - London Bound on 9/21

:-)

There's also a 'if you have 3 hours' resource (can't do link as posting from phone) but it's in the visitor resources that my previous two links are from.

It's better to concentrate on a room or predetermined plan for a first or shorter visit as there's so much to see it can be overwhelming. The eyeOpener tours are gallery-specific but excellent if there's something that takes your fancy at a convenient time. I especially like the Medieval Europe tour.