We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

The British Museum has just announced a major exhibition for 2013 (28 March – 29 September 2013) called 'Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum.' They've just put the tickets on sale too. I imagine that this will be hugely popular, so I'm flagging it up now, since tickets are bound to go quickly, and many of you may be visiting London and/or want to see it during its run.

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/pompe…

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

Great!

I'm a member so can just turn up and go in whenever I like (and again as many times as I wish) :D

Edited: 20 September 2012, 11:47
USA
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

There is a 2 for 1 offer from Days Out for the exhibition:

daysoutguide.co.uk/life--death-in-pompeii-at…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

Thanks for the heads up. It will be interesting for those who've been to the actual sites to see how they do this.

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

This sounds like a fantastic exhibition - Pompeii is one place in Italy that I wanted to see but just didn't have time to visit. I'll be in London for two weeks at the beginning of May. Do you think I should book a ticket now to be on the safe side or are there generally tickets available if you just show up? My time is pretty flexible as I don't like to plan a strict schedule except for a couple day trips I have to book ahead.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

The Mary Beard book on Pompeii is superb and since reading it I am longing to go - this exhibition will be the next best thing.

Thanks for letting us know.

amazon.co.uk/Pompeii-Life-Roman-Mary-Beard/d…

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

<Do you think I should book a ticket now to be on the safe side or are there generally tickets available if you just show up?>

What often happens with these highly popular exhibitions is that the tickets sell out, but a certain amount are held back for release to the public each day. This often (as with Leonardo at the NG and Hockney at the RA) leads to 3-hour queues for those tickets each day.

So my advice is to book now if you know you can visit on a particular date. Or if you're a fan of the BM and visit regularly, follow Bungle's lead and buy annual membership. ;-)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

This was the queue for tickets one day at the BM a few years ago when they had a really popular exhibition (in that case it was the First Emperor one with the Terracotta Warriors on display): www.youtube.com/watch…

Whether this one will be like that I don't know, but it's something to be born in mind.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

Thanks. I know we will want too see this one. Will work on dates this weekend

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

Wow - that video helped make up my mind. I don't mind queuing, but I'd hate to waste my precious time in London in a queue like that (or even half that long really). I'm going to go reserve my ticket now for peace of mind!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Museum 2013: Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum

Is vultus mirabile, videre non possum exspectare. And the exhibition has reduced entrance fees for those with Art Passes. Excellent news all around.