We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Etiquette

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bike Etiquette

Hello all,

My wife and I have always enjoyed biking when traveling. We understand the London is not very ideal for cycling but we still want to try the Boris Bikes and have a couple questions.

Are bikes allowed on the Queen's Walk?

Regarding Hyde Park, we read in a previous thread that you could get away with biking in non-designated areas as long as you were respectful and it was an uncrowded morning. Is this accurate? We don't want to be ugly tourists.

The English Bus
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Tour Londres
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Bike Etiquette

Hello Deborah.

It might sound good in theory, but it's too difficult in practice. First of all, you'd need to locate 20 or 30 bicycles that are available for hire, and it may be that they've already been taken by other people. Then, you have to pay for them with your credit card. Then compete for space with all of the pedestrians walking along the river. Then find 30 empty bicycle racks to park them.

So, I agree with Adam. Take a slow walk along the river to the Globe, and stop for a coffee on the way.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Bike Etiquette

I don't think I've ever seen a docking station with 30 bicycles, but even if one did, and your group took them all, how would that be fair to everyone else? Also I'm not sure people walking along the Thames would appreciate having to negotiate such a large group of riders. Far better to walk.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: Bike Etiquette

I agree with adamhornets. The area along the south bank between the London Eye and the Globe Theater is too congested for safe biking. It is an excellent walk and provides great views, though some might consider the distance a little far for a round trip walk.

If you're keen on biking, and you will be in London on a Sunday, I would highly recommend The Mall from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace. The Mall is wide enough to comfortably accommodate a group of your size and it closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays.

44. Re: Bike Etiquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 23:54
Level Contributor
17,566 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Bike Etiquette

You might check with Fat Tire Bike Tours. I don't see a lot about them in London, but I've seen good reviews for their tours in Paris and Berlin. They do private tours, so you could set up something for your group. You'd have to contact them for pricing, however.

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Bike Etiquette

Having just read this entire thread, I think there was some early confusion between 'footpath', 'pavement', 'footway' and 'sidewalk'. It *is* my understanding that generally in London it is illegal to bicycle on a pedestrian pavement (aka sidewalk alongside a road) unless expressly posted as allowed (look for subtle little round blue signs showing both a bicycle and a pedestrian). Bottom line, if there's not something indicating you can cycle on the sidewalk, you shouldn't. This includes hopping onto the sidewalk to bypass that red light! I'm a daily London bicycle commuter, and the worst part of my commute is some of the other cyclists who's ability to interpret the rules to their own advantage and live with themselves is stunning.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Bike Etiquette

Nothing to stop them getting off and wheeling their bike over the crossing, which makes riding over even more annoying

48. Re: Bike Etiquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 07:18